PDA

View Full Version : need to know how to wire fan to dash switch!!!???!!! HELP MEEEE!!!

bobafett
07-17-2004, 09:46 AM
i already searched, and never really found a clear answer...

i have a 15amp switch (should be enough for the cooling fan) with 12v switched power from the fuseblock in the cabin.... its it running into the blue/white wire that is attached to the larger cooling fan. when my ignition is switched on, i would like to be able to manually control fan oporation... what am i doing wrong?

also i attemped to splice a ground to battery ground to the black/white wire coming off that fan, since according to the wiring diagram it looks like the fan always has 12v to it, but needs to have ground tripped for it to oporate.

please tell me how to wire this shit up, i just need to know which wires, what color they are, and where to splice.... and if i need to supply power or a ground... this project is really pissing me off lol...

HELP!

tatmark1
07-17-2004, 11:43 AM
splice into the wires on the fan sensor at the bottom of radiator, cutt the 2 wires off the connector( i left enogh extra so i could put it back)then put 2 wires to your switch and it will work

tatmark1
07-17-2004, 11:47 AM
wire colors....blue & black w/ red stripes

mzabeefy
07-17-2004, 02:39 PM
All I did for mine was splice a wire onto the positive wire that connect to the thermosensor in the bottom of the radiator.. forgot what color it was. I ran that up to my cabin, and attached it to the switch, and attached the other end of the switch to a ground in my console, and it works.

bobafett
07-17-2004, 09:47 PM
so your grounding out the fan to complete the connection?

if im understanding u correct i need to ground out the wire coming out of the radiator instead of the one coming out of the fan, it sounds like thats all i did wrong. ;)

ill try it out later and let you guys know

mzabeefy
07-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Yup! that's correct. I'm sure you could do it your way also, but grounding the wire that connects to the thermosensor seems easier, don't have to mess with a power source or anything.

Robs89LXi
07-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Hmmm... seems like if you use the wires to the thermosensor, you will only have fan operation when the coolant temperature gets high enough, no? Is this what you're trying to do?

mzabeefy
07-18-2004, 10:13 AM
No, if you disconnect the connector on the thermosensor and you short the prongs together, the fan will turn on at whatever temperature, as long as the key is in the "on" position. This is the same thing that the switch in the cabin will do - it just shorts the connector to the thermosensor.

johnpaulmuff
07-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Sometimes it is cheaper or easier just to fix whatever is wrong in your fan circuit. Usually it is just the thermal switch in the radiator (at the bottom). Disconect the wires from the switch in the radiator, and jump the connections on the wire together. The fan should work with the key on, this means your thermal switch is bad. If it doesn't, try carefully hooking the fan itself up to the battery with wires. If the fan works then the relay is bad, but if the fan does not work hooked up directly to the battery, the fan motor is bad. If you still want to hook the fan up to a switch in your car, just unplug the fan switch in the radiator, and run wires from this to the switch inside your car. This will only work if your relay and fan motor are in working order.

bobafett
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
yeah i already know my relay and fan motor work, and i am pretty sure my fan switch works (at least to some degree) the fan comes on fine sometimes, and it comes on after the car is off fine, but the car seems to run really hot.

just driving without heat on, its usually a little bit over half way hot... if i turn the heat on it will go down a needle or two... but if im sitting in traffic i will see 3/4 hotter or more, at which point i turn heat on full blast...

i would just feel better if i had more control of that fan, and had it running anytime i was sitting in traffic. ;)

bobafett
07-22-2004, 08:26 AM
btw thanks for the replies, i am gonna flush my cooling system today hopefully, and try to wire this up the right way! ;)