PDA

View Full Version : Have to pump gas pedal to keep alive

thegreatdane
07-17-2004, 12:56 PM
I just put a 2nd gen prelude 1.8 double keihin engine in one of my accords (after a whole lot of trouble...) . It will start but I have to pump the gas pedal and I have to pump it while it's running to keep it alive. I have a fuel pump on it placed in the engine bay and it seems to be delivering fuel just fine. What could be wrong?

A20A1
07-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Are the carbs sitting at the right angle?

Did you synchronize the carbs?

What kind of fuel pump... some need to be installed near the tank and some need to also be installed low on the car near the base of the fuel tank.

Are you running the stock accord pump as well or did you modify the pickup so that the pump is removed?

Did you set the floatlevel?

Vacuum leak....

Is there any electrical connections like solenoids on the carbs?

Did you connect all the ground wires?

thegreatdane
07-18-2004, 04:21 AM
I can hear the carburetors spray in fuel when I engage the throttle linkage but it's like they cant spray out fuel without it being pumped with the throttle.
The carbs are sitting horizontal but tilting slight forward.
Electrical connections are the same as on the A20A1, there's an electric choke and some kind of heater coil I think.
All the ground wires are connected and good.
There doesnt seem to be any vacuum leaks.
How do I set the floatlevel and what will it affect?
The carburetors seems synchronized but I'm just looking at the throttles and chokes. What else needs to be synchronized and how is it done?
I dont know what kind of fuel pump it is or if there's also the stock pump installed, but before I got the car it was running fine with the same kind of engine and the same fuel system, it just blew a rod and then I bought it and replaced the engine.

I dont know if this might have any importance to it but the engine I dropped in has just been sitting in a garage for about 6 years. Could that cause the carbs to clog or something similar?

2ndgenludedude1986
07-18-2004, 11:02 AM
is the idel screw on the carbs set rihgt? thers a lil screw that sits between the carbs beside the throttle cable. mabey its flooding inseted of not gettign enough gas? they mite needa rebuild. the floats in those keihns are known to go. i jsut recently picked up soem new floats for mine.

ET2
07-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Did you hook up the idle valve's theres one wire on the bottom of each carb, and if there not hooked up it will do just what you described

thegreatdane
07-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Theres no electric controlled idle valves. The wires going from the carbs are connected, but those are for the choke and the coil heater thing.

I got it going though anyways. Turns out it would only run with the air filter box on. Silly.. Didnt think that would cause so much trouble.

A20A1
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
is there vacuumlines connected to something in the air box?
Like a bleed valve or something?

Synchronizing isn't hard but you need the air flow meter thing that covers the barrel... then you adjust the synchonizing srew till both carbs are flowing the same amount... I've never done it cause I never had dual carbs

thegreatdane
07-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Yes there's one vacuum line to some kind of valve on the airbox, it's the same type as the one on the A20A1 airbox i think. Cant remember the name of it right now.
I havent experienced before that a carbureted car wouldnt start because of the airbox not being on. I never saw a flowmeter like that around so I dont think I want to bother synchronizing them. As long as the engine runs I'm happy, it's just a little pos prelude engine :D