PDA

View Full Version : 95accord vtec yes/no

huctup86
07-17-2004, 03:57 PM
my friend has a 95 accord ex which has a sohc v-tec and he got rear ended and the insurance company wanted to total it but it wasnt really all that bad so he bought it back from them and he said i could have the whole car, so if i could put this motor in my car and only have to invest my time would it be wourth it or should i just leave it alone (i would have the whole car intact)... Please someone tell me will it fit, what will i need to do it, and is it wourth my time?

88accordhb
07-17-2004, 04:16 PM
well the motor is a 2.2 and is slightly bigger than ours, have you done the search on it yet? i kno for sure there will be tons of customing and will ivolves lots of time and money, expecially if youre carbed.

huctup86
07-17-2004, 06:44 PM
well the motor is a 2.2 and is slightly bigger than ours, have you done the search on it yet? i kno for sure there will be tons of customing and will ivolves lots of time and money, expecially if youre carbed.
i havent really done any research on it yet but i have started taking apart the car and your right about customizing like the side motor mount and not sure about abs brakes should or shouldnt i and no i am fuel injected can some one tell me what i should do and the 95 accord is vtec if i cant use the whole engine can i use the vtec head cuz it is a sohc just like mine (86 accord Lxi)

crwa
07-17-2004, 07:21 PM
I looked into this and it is do able, you just have to get alot of customized parts. I had a shop that would do it all for $4000, and that was the cost of the motor trans, mounts, labor and turboing it... It would be better to sell it and then invest in a B series motor which you can get mount kits for and all that so it just bolts in in the end...

Elijah
07-17-2004, 10:23 PM
I looked into this and it is do able, you just have to get alot of customized parts. I had a shop that would do it all for $4000, and that was the cost of the motor trans, mounts, labor and turboing it... It would be better to sell it and then invest in a B series motor which you can get mount kits for and all that so it just bolts in in the end...

If you can get all that.There is no better way to go.There is alot of people that spend that kind of money on just makeing a motor turbo

88accordhb
07-18-2004, 07:56 AM
4 grand for all that? sounds a little off. shops will say things, when they really don't kno. there's no way a shop will custom an f22a2 in our car with the tranny, labor, mounts and turbo it. turbo alone will sometimes cost 3000 grand alone seeing how you need to do all the upgrades, like fuelpumps, injectors, etc. in order for your motor to handle to boost. therefore, i don't think that shop knows the actually value of custimizing enigines into 3rd gen cords. it's gotta be more than that.

Huctup, i think you might be better just turboing the a20 since you already have a good sohc motor. you should do the search on that.

crwa
07-18-2004, 10:33 AM
The shop I went to only did motor swaps, and it was the owner who quoted me the price and what would need to be done... They knew what they were talking about, but unfortunately they had a rep. for doing a swap and then a few weeks later the car they did the work on would get stolen and then they'd have an extra motor sitting around...

shepherd79
07-18-2004, 02:59 PM
it looks like the guys at that shop doesn't know much about 3G.
many shops think that if it is accord, you can stick any F or H series motor in it. well, it is not that easy. our engine bay is a lot smaller than 4G and newer accords.
if you want to fit F or H series motor, you will have to get custom mounts made, custom axels made, custom shifter made, lets not forget about the clearence under the hood. i have seen H22 motor in the 3G. only one guy did that. and it cost him more that 10K if i remember correctly just for plain motor in the car.
it was very tight fit, but he got there. i am sure he had to cut something out in process.
anyway, it sounds like the shop you went to doesn't know jack shit about 3G accords.
they may know about newer accords but not old ones. plus 4K to drop the motor, and turbo it, i would be sceptic about their quality. the shops that do this kind of work will charge you about $3K just for labor to drop B series motor.

88accordhb
07-18-2004, 03:17 PM
it looks like the guys at that shop doesn't know much about 3G.
many shops think that if it is accord, you can stick any F or H series motor in it. well, it is not that easy. our engine bay is a lot smaller than 4G and newer accords.
if you want to fit F or H series motor, you will have to get custom mounts made, custom axels made, custom shifter made, lets not forget about the clearence under the hood. i have seen H22 motor in the 3G. only one guy did that. and it cost him more that 10K if i remember correctly just for plain motor in the car.
it was very tight fit, but he got there. i am sure he had to cut something out in process.
anyway, it sounds like the shop you went to doesn't know jack shit about 3G accords.
they may know about newer accords but not old ones. plus 4K to drop the motor, and turbo it, i would be sceptic about their quality. the shops that do this kind of work will charge you about $3K just for labor to drop B series motor.

:werd:

shepherd79
07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
:werd:
what don't you understand?

88accordhb
07-18-2004, 06:01 PM
no nothing i thought that sign was for like "werd" as in "word my homie" as in i agree

HondaBoy
07-18-2004, 07:17 PM
i'd say thats a nice idea, but just that. a nice idea. that engine has roughly 140hp, which isnt bad, but over all, the customization of the transmisson crap would turn me away from that. motor mounts arent all that hard compared to the axle stuff. but there with the tranny, i'd say that would be where you may spend most of your money on custom fabrications. i'd looked at a few of those engines, but i'd say i will still be looking for a B18 from an integra, which in fact i've found with a tranny. i need to go see about getting it because i know that they will be crushing that car pretty soon. a shame if they already did because they'd let me have the engine with tranny and all the wiring and other crap that goes with it for around $500. heh, got off the F22 a bit eh? anyway, hey, if you want to spend some money go for it, but dont be surprised when you've spend a lot more than a more practical 1.8 engine swap, or a fixed up A20.