Ok finally picked up the first pieces of my stereo system today :

part 1.

Kenwood KDC 4020 head unit

http://www.kenwood.com.au/files/584615.gif

part 2. Earthquake 5.25' Focus Speakers for the front

http://www.earthquakesound.com/Focus/f5.25/hex1.jpg
- 90 W. MAX. / 45 W. RMS.
- FR 75Hz-22kHz.
- 5.25" fiber impregnated polymica cone, super wide edge rubber surround.
- 15Oz Magnet.
- Sensitivity 90dB.
- 0.75" swivel dome tweeter, neodymium
magnet.
- Polyswitch tweeterprotection.

-------------------------

Next : Earthquake 6'inchs for the rear.

Earthquake or MTX sub, either 1 or two.

The head unit isn't powerful enough to drive these speakers.....Now im looking for a amp that will suit my setup...my HU has 2 pre outs, 1 for the rear and 1 for the front....I want my amp to drive 4 speakers, and a sub....

My guess is i go for either a 5channel amp? or seperate amps? what brands and all that? need some recommendations...

shepherd79
07-22-2002, 08:15 AM
i told you man, HiFonics is the way for you.

kennyaccordlxi
07-22-2002, 02:19 PM
MTX, Rockford, audiobahn, Alpine, to name a few. Save some money purchase a 5-channel amp if you want to run four speakers and a sub off a 5-channel Amp...Make sure you add up the RMS Watts rating and Peak Watts rating of your speakers and purchase a 5-channel amp that equals or exceeds your power needs.... Purchase your amp by how much power it can produce Continuously (RMS) not by peak power watts

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-22-2002, 02:48 PM
NICE LOOKING DECK DUDE!!!

gr3k0sLaV
07-22-2002, 02:51 PM
thanks, you should see the size of the magnets of these speakers....

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-22-2002, 03:27 PM
YEAH!!! PLEASE POST PICS WHEN INSTALLED!!

gr3k0sLaV
07-22-2002, 05:01 PM
already installed, just haven't got a camera to get anything photographed!! !!!!

Ive got a few things I want to photograph, going today though to pick up another set of 6' Earthquakes for the rear to balance it out...im about to head off now to shop around for a 5channel amp.

Out of curiousity have you guys heard of Earthquake before?

www.earthquakesound.com

TeKKnoTeKK
07-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Sure man....I havn't heard of them much lately, but from what I hear they are very reputable.

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 08:09 PM
I really like Earthquakes older amps. I ve never been that impressed with their subs. I agree on the 5 channel amplifier except it is hard to find a 5 channel amp with much power on the sub channel. I really like the memphis belle if you want to spend that kind of money.

gr3k0sLaV
07-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Picked up two 6' for the rear today, cost me $200

Next im gunna save and get my amp....they sound good....but as I said the head unit can't drive these things....Also have had trouble fitting them, the stock speaker pods cant accomodate these speakers, they are too big.

They have really nice clear high and mid range. But needs a good amp.....
http://www.earthquakesound.com/Focus/f6.5/hex1.jpg

110watts
- FR 50Hz-22kHz.
- 6.5" fiber impregnated polymica cone, super wide edge rubber surround.
- 18Oz Magnet.
- Sensitivity 90dB.
- 0.75" swivel dome tweeter, neodymium
magnet.
- Polyswitch tweeter protection.

I had a look at the earthquake amps, expensive but Im unsure whether I should go for a blaupunkt amp, or ill just save the extra and get the earthquake amp.

The sub is the final bit, dunno if i want twin or single...

When I pick up my AMP im leaving it with the good people at Geelong Car sound and they are going to fully rewire the speakers and do everything for me, leaving only the sub to be wired on and that's it..

POS carb
08-02-2002, 08:25 PM
damn i didn't nkow earthquake was still in business. are they still based in the bay area?

Shagen
08-03-2002, 07:03 PM
I have heard only great things about earthquake speakers, too bad we can't get them in canada. As for Kenwood...I'm sorry but I hate that company, but its your system

pimp86LX
08-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey man, Kenwoods rule!

I just bought mine, it looks very similar to yours cept its a lower end one (one set of preouts)

what is the wattage rating on your deck? mine is 45Wx4 and it is a little underpowered. Also does that model play mp3s?

and finally..how much was it

PEACE

sanjay
08-08-2002, 10:20 PM
hey man, you should go for trying to buy the same brand equipment for your car. I think it sounds a lot better when people say they have a FULL EARTHQUAKE system rather than, i've got this and this, and this... y'know what i mean?
The worst thing is, none of my sound equipment is the same brand. Don't make the same mistake I did!

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 10:22 PM
yeah but some names make better components than another,
lets say kenwood makes great decks, but crappy amps, etc etc...i think a unique setup shows how serious you are about getting the best quality insteadt of "this and this" setup that anyone else could have

gr3k0sLaV
08-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Im doing all differnet things,

im getting a set of splits for the front now, they are specially made for this electronics store, apparently they are really good, but they underrate their power aswell.

Im moving my 5's to the passenger doors, Or put them in the parcel shelf, or in the boot, or possibly just hooking them up to my home system....haven't decided.

I'll be getting 2x12' Response double magnet subs, now these subs have won awards and THEY ARE THE BOMB! A car equipped with 4 of these subs got 1st place in a few comps around australia. They are heavy as all fuck too. Two of those will really weigh the car down.

Ill be getting one 4xchannel amp to run my four speakers, and a 2 channel amp designed for these subs, although I may get two, since if you bulk order you can get each one cheaper. Good thing my hU has 2xrca outs, saves alot of hassles.

For around a $1000 I can get all this. Well over time, im hoping to pick up my 4channel in about 2 or 3 weeks, after I pay insurance and well hopefully when im back at work, ive taken a couple of days off since ive gotten laringitis so im a little behind.

That's the 2channel
http://jaycarstore.webfactory.com.au/aaaStoreFronts/Jaycar/Images/aaa/AA-0434.jpg

4 channel
http://jaycarstore.webfactory.com.au/aaaStoreFronts/Jaycar/Images/aaa/AA-0435.jpg

pimp86LX
08-11-2002, 08:41 PM
man, that would be fuckin awsome to have that setup

gr3k0sLaV
08-11-2002, 08:52 PM
hmmm shame I Dont have about $1000 US i could buy it all here and still have heaps of change :)