PDA

View Full Version : look for b20a for my 89 accord...need help finding

89lxiaccord
07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
i have a 89 accord lxi and the motor was locked up so my bubby told me about the b20a and i think i am gooing to go with that but i need help on finding one...........please help this is my first honda project..

sporkHSP
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
welcome, its a direct bolt swap i believe, but the problem lies with finding a JDM b20a from an accord that has a manual transmission, as other trannies dont bolt up. your best source for them would be our Canadian members, they seem to beable to root them out better than anyone down here. Use the search and start looking up threads on b20's... and i know Carotman just got one, so you may want to ask him...

shepherd79
07-20-2004, 04:03 AM
it is easy to find JDM b20A motor but it is hard to find manual tranny.
it is not that simple to drop that motor.
you will have to rewire a few things, add a few things. it is almost like another motor swap except you don't have to mess with mounts too much.
the motor is worth the effort, but it will cost you. if you are on the budget, get yourseld healthy A20A3 motor.

89lxiaccord
07-20-2004, 06:48 AM
first and for moats i want to think everyone who has repleyed to this post. I am not worried about the cost i just want to get-er-done cause noone in this part of the country has one and there is this stock 00 civic si that thinks he is unbeatadle :kekeke: i have always been in to american muscle but it is time to join the import crowd so come on guys and help me get this project done........thanx

shepherd79
07-20-2004, 02:11 PM
the problem with B20A is that you can't find parts in the US.
if i was you, i would go with B16A vtec or B18c5 motor. even with B16a you will kick that civic ass.

89lxiaccord
07-20-2004, 04:59 PM
thats alll good but like i said this is my first honda project and i would need to know what all i would need to get it to drop in... but thanx for the advice.. help me out on this swap and tell what all i would need to put in a b16

SEiCOOLGUY
07-20-2004, 09:07 PM
wait until accordcentral reopens and get a complete rebuilt motor with low-compression pistons(sean can make them whatever compression ratio you want) and then turbo from there...far more effective and a hell of lot cheper imo

carotman
07-21-2004, 05:14 AM
The B20A parts can be found in the us except for those 4 things:

1-Oil pan (with oil pan gasket)
2- Timing Belt
3- Headgasket
4- Oil pump

The timing belt problem can be solved if you use B20A5 parts... so this leaves you 3 things....

Gregg86DX
07-21-2004, 07:01 AM
The B20A parts can be found in the us except for those 4 things:

1-Oil pan (with oil pan gasket)
2- Timing Belt
3- Headgasket
4- Oil pump

The timing belt problem can be solved if you use B20A5 parts... so this leaves you 3 things....

carotman, have you found a cross-reference for the distributor cap and rotor? I tried for a while and could not find anything.

Gregg

carotman
07-21-2004, 10:09 AM
not yet... (forgot about that part). I'll have to check this out.

Anyway, you can use other distributors on the B20A.

michael.cabinian
08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
This is going to be my 1st Honda project as well...I would really appreciate it if anybody can tell all the components I would need to do a B20A2 or B20A7 on an 88 LX chassis. I was about to do a B16A1 swap but I would not be able to afford it- MILITARY LIFE- "living from paycheck to paycheck"

thegreatdane
08-09-2004, 11:18 AM
You've got it wrong. You need a "B20A". The other engine is a 3rd gen lude engine and will NOT fit in the Accord.

sporkHSP
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
it would be nice if you could find all the parts, and for michael.cabinian - you might consider just an EFI a20a3 swap over the b20a, you get more power and its gunna be cheaper...

michael.cabinian
08-13-2004, 12:28 PM
it would be nice if you could find all the parts, and for michael.cabinian - you might consider just an EFI a20a3 swap over the b20a, you get more power and its gunna be cheaper...

how am i able to generate more power on an a20 platform? iam curious cause i have also considered this option and have asked around about it, even on honda-tech and the reply that i have gotten everytime was that the f/i conversion is too troublesome and costly. it's true that it will be cheaper, and at least,it will have somekind of aftermarket support. it will be awesome to do a setup that will kind of resemble the one that k-mod racing racing has for their 3rd gen accord, however, it is f/i first of all, and they can afford to do all kinds of mods to that kind of engine, i however, am on a budget, and wand a daily driver thet can just keep it's own with the domestic and vtec crowd... :dunno: