PDA

View Full Version : HiGhEr rPm'S

troutz15
07-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Wat are some basic upgrades or parts that i can add to the head of my carbed A20a1 that will let the engine rev quicker and make more all-around power?

A20A1
07-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Rev quicker or have more revs? your title is a bit different then what your thread is saying....

anyways
rev quicker get a lighter flywheel...

For the head you can get a low - mid range performance cam. and do a port and polish job along with a 3 angle valve job.

You also want to look into modifying a few stock carb components to get a little more flow, basic freebie mods.

troutz15
07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
its an automatic, but it still has a flywheel right? what cams do you reccomend and how much do they cost? how much would a port and polish run me and are there any shops u would recommend me 2 get it done aT? wats a 5-angle valce job? and wat are the carb components i could modify to getsome free power?

A20A1
07-19-2004, 10:03 PM
yes the auto has a flywheel.
Colt tri-flow... I'm not sure how much they cost.
run a search for cam or camsaft or regrind

The carb mods are do it yourself type deals if you don't know your way around under the hood it might be best to leave the carb alone for now.

troutz15
07-19-2004, 10:10 PM
most of my engine is on my back seat ryte now, im tryin to get the head off to chnage the blown gasket. iv got a new head, so i guess i could get it p&p'd b4 i put it back on. so i can do somestuff to the carb, im pretty comfortable with stuff like that.

smufguy
07-20-2004, 09:24 AM
a 3 angle valve job is engouh for street application. 4 angle valve job is for serious hp cars and 5 angle ( i dont even think it exists :( ) are for drag strip and race only cars.

Like Mike said, a light weight aluminum flywheel would be easier for ur car to rev up, but also with a lot of power mods (sucks that u dont ahve a efi, so u can boooooost it) ur car will rev up quick too.

troutz15
07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
is there any shop that will perform a carb-to-efi conversion for me? and what exactly is a valve job????

Justin86
07-20-2004, 10:24 AM
how about titanium retainers and better valve springs, along with a cam to rev up to 7K no problem.
No shop will do an EFI swap for you and if they did it would cost way more then what it is worth, you have to do it yourself.

smufguy
07-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Follow my how-to from my site for the carb to efi conversion or follow the one in the how-to that carotman wrote up.

valve job is actually a pretty nice work where the valves are cut and re-faced along with the seats and everything cut on the cylinder head for better sealing under high compression. This is a must for ppl who are serious about their performance or are planning to run boost.

A20A1
07-20-2004, 01:51 PM
a 3 angle valve job is engouh for street application. 4 angle valve job is for serious hp cars and 5 angle ( i dont even think it exists :( ) are for drag strip and race only cars.

Like Mike said, a light weight aluminum flywheel would be easier for ur car to rev up, but also with a lot of power mods (sucks that u dont ahve a efi, so u can boooooost it) ur car will rev up quick too.

lol yeah I wasn't sure on that... so in went the?
Yeah 3 angle sounds about right. :D

smufguy
07-21-2004, 04:49 AM
well i just realized, a 5 angle valve job does exist. K-mod does it to say. But the Jack Merkel performance shop does 3 angle valve job for street cars with lots of power and 4 angle valve job for drag cars. And most of his customers (drag guys) are in the top three of their category.

I dont think ours need anything more than a 3 angle cause our heads dont flow that great NA anyway. But sean said he had this thing flow 360 cfm with 500 life. and the stockies flow 210 cfm. Not bad at all IMO.

AccordAddict
07-21-2004, 10:01 AM
What do upgraded Cams actually do for you?

smufguy
07-21-2004, 10:11 AM
What do upgraded Cams actually do for you?

an upgraded cam (camshaft) increases the valve open duration, as in how long u want the valves (exhaust and intake) to stay open and how much do u want them to open. LIke the distance of opening and the period of time it stays open at that distance. it also increaes/decreases valve overlap depending on the grind ur going for.

AccordAddict
07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
hmm whats the best camshaft for our cars? and how much HP gain does it give you?

AccordEpicenter
07-21-2004, 02:23 PM
yes the auto has a flywheel.

Negative, it has a flexplate, which is already a 1lb stamped steel plate with holes all through it, the actual weight is the torque convertor and you cant get a lightened one so.... If you got an adjustable cam gear and retarded the cam timing about 2* thatll give you better top end

smufguy
07-21-2004, 04:29 PM
hmm whats the best camshaft for our cars? and how much HP gain does it give you?

that, you gotta 'search' for my man. There are tons of threads by different members on the performance section. But do know that, u will fail emissions if ur in a state where the exhaust gases is tested as a part of the yearly/bi-yearly state inspection.

troutz15
07-22-2004, 12:36 AM
down here, cops all own souped up eclispes and talons and shit and are always at the track. they stop on the street and use their radar guns to measure your top speed n shit for you. emissions tests? all they check for down here is if u have a muffler period, all your lights working, horn, and windshield wipers.

smufguy
07-22-2004, 06:26 AM
damn Troutz, then u got urself one moddeable 3g then, no cat, cams, head work, no EGR, 2.25 piping. damn..... u can keep the list going.

keruhas184
07-22-2004, 07:10 AM
But do know that, u will fail emissions if ur in a state where the exhaust gases is tested as a part of the yearly/bi-yearly state inspection.

So a reground cam is totaly not recommended for emission controlled states? Is it still possible to pass with a mild grind and running it hella lean and retarded timing?

smufguy
07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
So a reground cam is totaly not recommended for emission controlled states? Is it still possible to pass with a mild grind and running it hella lean and retarded timing?

its possible, but ususally to reduce nox u run rich and retard the timing. U need to tune it right to get it to work, but a Lx-i cam with the carb head works better imo. Every state has its own ppm measure or % measure of the exhaust gases, so who knows u might pass or u might fail, just give it a try, it never hurts. If u fail no matter what, put on ur stock cam, pass inspection and then throw in the reground cam after that.

A20A1
07-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Negative, it has a flexplate, which is already a 1lb stamped steel plate with holes all through it, the actual weight is the torque convertor and you cant get a lightened one so.... If you got an adjustable cam gear and retarded the cam timing about 2* thatll give you better top end

Damn, there is no smiley with a dunce cap. :D