PDA

View Full Version : car dieing over 3000rpm?? help

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-20-2004, 03:00 AM
ok, here's the deal:

when i drive around about 30 minutes , cars starts acting wéird: if I accelerate over 3000rpm, engine wants to die off...sound like out of gas and black smoke comes out behind. if i release the gas pedal it's ok. it's pissing me off especially on th ehighway or town, if i want to drive pass somebody and during this try the car dies ffs :mad:
if i stop the engine for ~1 minute , it's ok again for 10minutes or so.

when engine is running idle, it revs up smoothly upto ~8000rpm.
i've changed the fuel filters, checked the ignition as much as i can (spark plugs, coil, wires) etc. also checked the gas tank, if there's any dust.

what do u guys reccomend to check/fix? any ideas?

thx

A20A1
07-20-2004, 03:02 AM
Carb right?

Look thru this link, but also check for the things listed below
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

you might want to check coolant level

low coolant level could effect choke

you chould have a choke problem

you could have a problem with the hot air door control diaphragm that is on the inlet tube of the air cleaner, or the sensor that controls that diaphragm.

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-20-2004, 03:09 AM
yep, forgot to mention this :)

1 lil more thing: i've driven around without airfilter about 3 last months. claning the carb didnt help too :( maybe old gasket was crappy?

A20A1
07-20-2004, 03:11 AM
oh that changes things, look above i edited my post before I read you reply...

anyways what did you do with the hoses you removed from the aircleaner?

Edit: nevermind... airfilter. So you still have the aircleaner and the lid on right? you just have the filter removed?

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-20-2004, 04:33 AM
erm..

air intake hose is just hanging there...same thing with valve cover hose. 1 vacuum (that took air from airbox is just as it is (opened), hot/cold valve vacuum is plugged. engine is A20A2

but what about the black smoke? seems to me that it aint a jammed carb fuel line. maybe ignition or sth?

A20A1
07-20-2004, 04:44 AM
what about the other things I listed?
I would say it's a loose booster but you said it's a problem that occurs after the car warms up and also that you get black smoke... so after the car warms up check to see if the choke is open or not. It should be open, if not there is a problem.

A20A1
07-20-2004, 04:53 AM
...if i stop the engine for ~1 minute , it's ok again for 10minutes or so.

when engine is running idle, it revs up smoothly upto ~8000rpm.

Why on earth are you reving to 8,000rpm? you might have triggered the fuel cut if you have one
It can cause the fuel flow to stop or redirect and then the fuel bowl will go dry.

Also all that reving isn't good for the valve seals... so you might be burning oil and could have leaky valves.

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-20-2004, 04:55 AM
sry 4 my bad english , but what exactly is "choke" :dunno:

btw venturis are nice and tight. i recently cleaned the carb and checked them.
(.. aah. maybe u need to know that most of vacuum lines are removed and manual secondary mod is also done. but after modding everything worked fine, so i guess these are nor related).

thx, mike. i'll anyway re-check everything in the evening @ home. :) i suspect jammed fuel lines or ignition - when neutral gear is in , i can rev it over 3k without a prob

p.s airfilter with airbox is gone (like your setup i guess)

A20A1
07-20-2004, 05:00 AM
but what about the black smoke? seems to me that it aint a jammed carb fuel line. maybe ignition or sth?

What more do you suspect with ignition?

maybe look at every fuse even if you think they are unrelated fuses, and replace then if they are blown

Did you check your plugs to see if they were fouled, black, or white, or if they had oil deposits on them?

A20A1
07-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Choke is the the butterfly / metal plate that flips open and closed and is above the primary barrel... but if you removed the vacuum lines, did you also remove the choke?

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
damn, i always admire your explanations with pics :)

choke is still present, i didn't remove it. what would happen when i rip it out?

about spark plugs: i changed them few weeks ago, old ones were dark reddish, no sign of burnt oil or sth..

A20A1
07-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Well you can remove the choke but that may cause problems when the car is cold... the issue here though is if the choke is functioning properly when the car is warm... if the choke is fully open when warm then that is good... if not then you have a choke problem.

rehv_Aerodeck86
07-21-2004, 03:39 AM
thanks, mike :)

i'll check it out when i get home