PDA

View Full Version : question about my in progress auto to 5-speed swap?????

military mase
07-20-2004, 11:52 AM
well i have everything put in by one of my friends but the clutch cable has a lot of tention on it so it revs at a constant 1500 to 2000 rpms. is there a way to loosen it. its seems like it's also hitting the back plate surface of the petals. Anyone know of a way to correct this????

Strugglebucket
07-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I don't see how the clutch cable would effect your idle speed. If it's adjusted too tight it will just cause your pedal to engage high like a tractor. It's easy to fix, just turn the thumbscrew.
If your idle is high you should check to make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly and nothing is sticking (if you tap the gas do the revs come down?). If everything's good there check your fast idle valve and eacv (see the how tos or shop manual). If all thats good then you may need to adjust your idle. I don't know why but it seems like a lot of the time when people do a 5-speed swap they have to lower the idle. Maybe because of the difference in flywheels?
Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by it hitting the back plate surface of the pedals. Could you clarify? What's 'it'? The clutch cable?

military mase
07-21-2004, 03:20 AM
well after writting the post we got it down to about 1200 rpms but when hitting the gas it revs down kinda slow. to get it lower we could only think of turning on the ac unit for the right idle. is 1100-1200 rpms alright for the car????

Strugglebucket
07-21-2004, 03:26 AM
If your engine is mostly stock you want it around 750-800. Definitely below 1000. Is the gas pedal sticking? Happens sometimes with junkyard pedals, and will drive you crazy if you don't fix it.

SteveDX89
07-21-2004, 03:28 AM
It'll be ok but you should get it down to around 800 with the a/c off. The tension on the clutch cable has no effect on idle. Just how quickly the clutch is engaged and disengaged. Check the manuals on adjusting idle speed and work on it from there. The clutch cable is totally unrelated.

Strugglebucket
07-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Isn't that what I just f@ckin said? Sorry, I'm tired and cranky;)

military mase
07-21-2004, 03:38 AM
yeah i got them from the junkyard. but it's just the idle...i'll get back to you with how it goes this afternoon when i get from work. thx

johnpaulmuff
07-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Don't auto cars have an extra idle solenoid in the black box? Maybe that is causing a problem.

Strugglebucket
07-22-2004, 02:47 PM
As I understand it, the a/t solenoid only engages when the car is put into gear. With the 5-speed swap you have it wired to [P]ark all the time so I don't think it matters. I was going to try using a black box from a 5-speed when I did the swap on my '89lxi, but when I opened it up both boxes were exactly the same -no extra solenoid. Don't know about an '87 though, but I still don't think it makes a difference.

military mase
07-26-2004, 06:56 PM
well i got the idle down to a good setting but i have noticed that when riding around that it rrevs kinda high during normal shifting. can i just adjust the clutch cable to fix this problem plus if i hear a metalic clicking sound could it be the tranny or just the timing being a little off.

SteveDX89
07-27-2004, 02:17 AM
well i got the idle down to a good setting but i have noticed that when riding around that it rrevs kinda high during normal shifting. can i just adjust the clutch cable to fix this problem plus if i hear a metalic clicking sound could it be the tranny or just the timing being a little off.

THE CLUTCH CABLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IDLE!!! Adjusting the clutch cable will do nothing. Where do you hear the clicking sound come from?

military mase
07-28-2004, 09:47 AM
then if it's not the cable then do you know what is making it rev so high before shifting. the clicking is coming from the left side of the engine cuz scince i don't have a heatshield yet or a boot i can hear the sound pretty well. could it be that the timing on the distrib. is off a little??

SteveDX89
07-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Is your idle off all the time or just between gears? If it's all the time, I'd say check to make sure you throttle plate isn't sticking or your throttle adjusted to tight. These things will cause high idle.

military mase
07-29-2004, 04:37 PM
it's just when i'm giving it gas. when am driving and i put it in neutral it idles way down. i say when giving gas it'sabout 500 to 700 rps to high.

SteveDX89
07-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Are you letting your foot off the gas completely during shifts?

military mase
07-29-2004, 07:15 PM
yep!! even today i was in 2nd going only about 20mph and i had already hit about 2500rpms...in my civic i can hit 20miles and be nowhere near that high....... well the next time i can check it out is this weekend so if i'll have to seethen if it's anything else that i mayover looked that would make it be a simple fix.