PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so slow?

Bloodlust
07-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Ok, for a while now I have noticed that my car is alot slower than it ever was. I just hit 161,000, its an auto, and the tranny is slipping. Some people have recommended that I do a full tune up, others say its my tranny, and some people think its somewhere in the ignition system. What do you guys think is wrong with my car? Ask me questions like "Does it do this or that? What happens when you do this"? Id like to rule out certain things and then go on from there. You have have helped me in the past, please help me yet again.

shepherd79
07-20-2004, 01:56 PM
mike, it can be many things.
it can be that your tranny doesn't transfer all the power to the ground.
it can be that your ignition is getting old and needs update.
it can be ..... well there are many things that can cause that.
first, i think you should start with tranny. get a nice 5 speed. :)

Bloodlust
07-20-2004, 02:05 PM
mike, it can be many things.
it can be that your tranny doesn't transfer all the power to the ground.
it can be that your ignition is getting old and needs update.
it can be ..... well there are many things that can cause that.
first, i think you should start with tranny. get a nice 5 speed. :)

If at all possible I wouldnt want to convert to 5 speed because #1 I like an auto for a daily driver and #2 I cant drive stick for shit. But from wat ur saying im guessing I should take care of the transmission first because obviously thats giving problems.

maka_RTH
07-20-2004, 02:11 PM
yah, i'd say if your tranny is starting to go out(slipping), then you may as well replace it. even if it could go for quite a while still, you're gonna have to replace it anyways. if that doesn't fix your problem, then i'd say do you basic plugs/wires and whatnot witha tune up. never really hurts to do that either.

k-roy
07-20-2004, 02:18 PM
I bet its the Tranny eating up your power if its starting to slip.
You should follow you buddy and drop in a nice 'Lude 5 speed

88accordalltheway
07-20-2004, 02:19 PM
maka_rth, thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, im sorry. DUH you should start with a tune up. Its the cheapest way to get a little performance. What if you got what you wanted with a tune up? Then getting a new tranny would be over kill and expensive. You should get a tranny later, and tune up now. Start with the cheaper stuff, cause that might fix the problem.And even if it is the tranny, youll feel good knowing that you have a tune up(if you get one first). If you get the tranny first, and it dosent give you wqhat you want, then youll be pissed you spent the money and then youll feel like you have to spend MORE money for a tune up. Get what i am saying? i think most would agree.

SteveDX89
07-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't agree with that. If the tranny is slipping, it needs replaced no matter what. Trannies aren't supposed to slip.

Bloodlust
07-20-2004, 03:06 PM
So basically I should do both.

BTW, heres what "mods" I have done so far:

AEM 2.5" CAI
Crane Spark Plug Wires
NGK Spark Plugs (Could use replacing soon)
DC Sports Header
2.5" Catback Exhaust with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.

Punch me if im wrong, but I should be going a little faster than 45 mph in 4th gear.... :dunno:

maka_RTH
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
maka_rth, thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, im sorry. DUH you should start with a tune up. Its the cheapest way to get a little performance. What if you got what you wanted with a tune up? Then getting a new tranny would be over kill and expensive. You should get a tranny later, and tune up now. Start with the cheaper stuff, cause that might fix the problem.And even if it is the tranny, youll feel good knowing that you have a tune up(if you get one first). If you get the tranny first, and it dosent give you wqhat you want, then youll be pissed you spent the money and then youll feel like you have to spend MORE money for a tune up. Get what i am saying? i think most would agree.

normally i'd prolly say that, except he said his tranny is slipping, so it's on it's way out anyways, and he'll either spend money on it now or later. if he has to wait, then obviously tune-up might help..., but he's gonna be spending money on the tranny sooner or later, and it sounds to me like it's more the tranny anyways.

maka_RTH
07-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Punch me if im wrong, but I should be going a little faster than 45 mph in 4th gear.... :dunno:

also, if your tranny is slipping really bad in 4th, then it's definitly on it's way out(i know from experience). if you drive easy, you could get by for awhile driving in d3, but it's gonna need replaced sooner or later, and you'd prolly be better off replacing cuz you'll save money on gas, or should i say you won't spend extra cuz you don't have 4th gear. anyways, yah, that's my suggestion. i think a new tranny costs about $350 for a remanufactured, and if you put it in then yah..., otherwise it'll cost more to have it put in.

accordlxi2.0
07-20-2004, 04:09 PM
ummm yea it goes into 4th 40mph up.
what you mean is rpm @ speed
like for example
you should be:
2,600rpm @ 60mph in 4th gear give or take t/c locking.

so what are you doing??

AccordEpicenter
07-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Why am I so slow? well its genetic, you were born that way, there is nothing you can do about it, im sorry...

OH WAIT... you ment the 3g

Well in that case, are you ABSOLUTLEY SURE The tranny is slipping? if it is smell the tranny oil dipstick, if its black or smells burnt then you might need a tranny, if you keep up with regular atf changes (say 30 k mi or so with honda ATF-Z1) these autos last a long time even under abuse, but very few people change their atf regularly and it does break down and get very dirty and clutches etc get damaged prematurely. Yes if i were you id do a full tune up, do cap/rotor/plugs/wires/fuel filter etc, you might be able to keep the plug wires if they are good but def do the rest. I did a fuel filter and already notice a difference even tho the filter wasnt totally plugged. Speaking of which i should do plugs myself (got 30 k miles on them) always use NGK plugs. Also if the tranny oil is clean and non burnt, you can try monkying with the TV cable, esp if the tranny slips when it shifts.

Bloodlust
07-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Ill have to check my tranny fluid. My dad checked it for me and he didnt say anything was wrong. Where can i get a completely rebuilt automatic transmission? Someone on the board offered me one with like 120k miles on it for 125 or so. It would probably be better just to spend 300 for a brand new one right? Any info on where i can get one would be greatly appreciated.

AccordEpicenter
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
hmm ive never seen a rebuilt auto tranny for these cars cheaper than about $800... id say find a known good low milage/well maintained tranny is a better bet (hella lot less cash)

nswst8
07-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Is it sputtering, sound like it missing, hesitating, shaking really bad, does it shift smoothly into all gears or does it jump, clunk sound.
Are you throwing any codes, probably not if no check engine light. How old is the O2 sensor >50,000 maybe bad.
Now check the Distrubutor cap lok at the contacts does the metal seem smooth or pitted and the rotor button same inspection.
Wire good connections all around get a spark tester if one of your plugs is bad it will produce loss of power symptoms.
Exhaust leak,
Vacuum leak
Bad injector, use a noid tester to see if it is getting signal.
These are the first things that I would check.
Need more input, insufficient data.
Hope this gives you a start.