PDA

View Full Version : My hatch is a bitch.... replacing axle.

Big Body LX
07-22-2002, 07:40 AM
Okay.. well as you guys probably know by now, I bought a 87 Accord LXi hatchback the other day. The same day I bought it I snapped the left cv axle in half! Well we're in the process of taking the suspension apart and we break a bolt!!!!! To top it all off we can't get the damn broken part out of the damn suspension!

This is beginning to be a REAL pain in the arse! The good part is once we get the axle out, it's smooth sailing from there on out. Plus, the axle comes with a lifetime warranty so if I snap it again, I'm covered.

Hoshizakido
07-22-2002, 12:41 PM
hmm replacing axles is easy little over an hour to do

Big Body LX
07-22-2002, 01:39 PM
It's easy.... yes.... but the bolt was stuck and we had to use a breaker bar to get it undone... well, before we knew what happened, the bolt had snapped and is now STUCK inside the lower control arm. I talked to a guy that owned a shop and he told me what they normally do when that happens is just replace the whole lower control arm!!!!

First off.. I have no car now since I sold my 96 Accord earlier and I'm pretty sure Honda won't have a lower control arm for a 87 Honda Accord LXi hatch in stock..... ARGH!

hondaman87
07-22-2002, 03:54 PM
u think thats hard try replacing an altenator on a carb 3 gee

it reeeaaaaalllllly sucks

Big Body LX
07-23-2002, 04:07 AM
Day 3 without my car... turning out to be a major pain... wish I had more time to devote to this project than just an hour a day or so. I'm rockin the Ford conversion van as a loaner today though so I'm not hurting for rides.

AZmike
07-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Call around, you might find a lower arm cheap at a local salvage yard. Honda is going to want an arm and a leg. One of my horn buttons broke and I was going to replace it. Do you know how much the dealer wanted for the tiny piece of plastic? $11 and change. I stay away from the dealer unless I need something that I can't find anywhere else.

Big Body LX
07-24-2002, 05:09 AM
Day 4 :mad:

This is quickly turning into my journal :)

We got the axle out!!!! Now all we have to do is get a machine shop to drill the bolt out or get a new lower control arm and shock fork assembly. I pray to God that my car is on the road by tonight.

Big Body LX
07-24-2002, 10:37 PM
Okay.. got the axle in and driving it around. I finally got to debut it at the spot where we all hang out tonight.

On my way home, however, I discovered that my right axle is now making a noise when I slow down... could be the rotor but I actually think it's the axle!!!!