PDA

View Full Version : engine oil leak question

oldsub86
07-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Oil is leaking sufficiently to leave large spots on the ground when the car is parked. It looks like the oil is leaking on the drivers side of the engine - there is oil on the top of the a/c compressor. So the question is - is it likely the valve cover gasket or a seal on the end of the cam or what? I intend to clean it up a a bit and look more closely but I wondered if there is a likely cause that others have already encountered?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Check the valve cover gasket first. The cam shaft seal would cause oil to drain out of the cam belt cover at the bottom. Hit the engine with some degreaser and watch where the oil appears. BTW, the valve cover gasket is very easy to replace so if in doubt just change it. Takes about 20 minutes, and should set you back less than 10 bucks.

maxoutracer
07-21-2004, 04:32 AM
valve cover gasket is common leak on all honda's

MrBen
07-28-2004, 10:04 PM
I just replaced the valve cover gasket and found out it was the cam shaft seal. Guy at the shop wants a ton of money to replace it but I have no choice. Sucks.

Sabz5150
07-28-2004, 10:08 PM
I just replaced the valve cover gasket and found out it was the cam shaft seal. Guy at the shop wants a ton of money to replace it but I have no choice. Sucks.

I replaced my cam seal when I did my cam swap. It isn't hard and would cost you significantly less to replace yourself.

MrBen
07-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I would but at present I don't think i have the necessary tools nor place to do it. Not much choice.