PDA

View Full Version : busted control arm mount

smufguy
07-21-2004, 08:33 AM
well sad news. i noticed a chatter in the car when i accelerate or slow down and i thought it was the control arm bolt came loose, but to my dismay, its the control arm post mount. The one where u can see it from the engine bay. The two 17mm bolt go thru this. :( I dont know if i can fix it. Im thinking of taking it to a body shop and having them weld it in for me. Like put a plate in there and weld that shit good. Can i do that? I wish i can get a pic for you guys, but i dont have a cam so that blows. but i will try to get a pic somehow. :( this is really frustrating cause i have to drive down to NC this weekend. and hope it wont kill me or something :(

Anyone had this problem before and fixed it? please let me know how much it cost you and how many days u were without your car. Thanks fellas.

carotman
07-21-2004, 09:12 AM
get that thing repaired quick... there is quite some stress on that mount during sharp turns.

You could even take the strut mount from a junked car and get it welded in place. Some body shops won't do it tough.... it's not as easy as replacing a front fender and most of them are lazy...

smufguy
07-21-2004, 09:13 AM
i was thinking of getting a steel plate welded in or something, i dont know :( i have to leave for NC in a couple of days and its the only car i got. This is really frustrating.

carotman
07-21-2004, 09:17 AM
depends how bad is the rust... a steel plate will work for sure.

smufguy
07-21-2004, 09:19 AM
thats the problem, its not the rust. I think i just drove it too hard that the metal where the bolt locks on just busted open. The car has no rust.

Robs89LXi
07-21-2004, 09:40 AM
And you're gonna boost that POS?!!! :rofl: :lol: jk.
No rust is good.
Quit typing.
Start welding.
Go!

carotman
07-21-2004, 09:42 AM
holy crap!.... were the bolts properly tightened?

I thought it was rusted because we see that kind of problem on most of the 3 geez in Canada... but if yours is 100% healthy.. just get a plate welded I guess.

smufguy
07-21-2004, 10:06 AM
ROB: Ur soo horrible :). yeah this same car is gonna be boosted hehehe. I wish i can go now, i got my final exam tom so i cant really do anything, but i will have to talk to my uncle tomorrow and see what i can do.

Carot: yeah the bolts were torqued in right. But u know the way i drive, Im on my second brake pads in 20K miles that i put on in about 8 months since i started driving my car. well, Point being, i dont know how the hell it even went thru. The bolt is still on the stud.
Im thinking, if i had a strut tower bar, this could hvae been delayed (not eliminated if it was weak in the first place). Im hunting down for a strut tower bar.

AccordEpicenter
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Dont drive it like that, thats real dangerous. Get that shit fixed asap

smufguy
07-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Im gonna ask the guys at the shop on firday and see if they can fix it, if not im gonna put some shit loda JB weld on it and drive around for a couple of days and then get it fixed on both sides, even tho only one side is bad, along with new bushings for the control arm.