PDA

View Full Version : Final Tranny swap questions!!!!

sporkHSP
07-22-2004, 07:08 AM
ok, first off where is the frigging filller for the tranny fluid on teh 5speed, am i just not seeing it or something???
how much fluid does it take to fill it?
what kind of fluid should i use?
what do i use to lubricate the clutch-drive shaft connection (the rod it connects to on the tranny)?
oh, and if anyone remembers exactly which wires connect to which wires that would be helpful too, thanks guys.

HostileJava
07-22-2004, 08:14 AM
The filler bolt is actually on the side of the tranny, It's a 15mm socket I believe. If your looking at the front of the car it's towards the top back of the left side(closer to the passenger side fender). The tranny takes 2.6 quarts but I've heard alot of people say that they just use 3. I couldn't get mine open so I used the speed sensor hole to fill the tranny up. Speed sensor is on the top back of the tranny and should come out with one 10mm bolt. It was recommended to me to use genuine honda mtf, however the manual also says you can use regular light motor oil.

keruhas184
07-22-2004, 09:41 AM
When I changed the tranny oil after like 1 quart it seemed full. After shifting the trans slowly and waiting a bit I was able to fill it up more. Just a small heads up. The way I filled it was having a funnel with a long tube run down to the fill hole from the engine compartment.

sporkHSP
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
what about the last questions, anyone have any ideas?

Strugglebucket
07-23-2004, 02:10 AM
You can use some high-temp grease to help slide the shaft into the clutch disc when you mount the tranny. As for the wires (from the auto shifter harness):

1) The two thick black wires you splice together so your ecu thinks you're in park so you can start the car.

2) On the multi-wire harness you splice the black wire with the pink wire to disable the ignition safety lock (so you can get your key out).

3) From the same set of wires, the yellow and the green/w black stripe are the wires you need to run to the tranny in order for the reverse lights to work. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which wire.

Hope you get done soon!

carotman
07-23-2004, 06:48 AM
This is what I used to fill the tranny. That funnel hose was available in a parts store. You can connect the oil bottle directly on it but it will pour too slow into the tranny because the bottle can't get any air... I just used a 2L pepsi bottle and poured the oil in it.. worked like a charm.

http://carotman.no-ip.com:8888/swap/pepsi.jpg

HostileJava
07-23-2004, 07:13 AM
You can use some high-temp grease to help slide the shaft into the clutch disc when you mount the tranny. As for the wires (from the auto shifter harness):

2) On the multi-wire harness you splice the black wire with the pink wire to disable the ignition safety lock (so you can get your key out).

Hope you get done soon!

w00t, thanx man, I've just been disconnecting my battery to get my keys out till I got the chance to figure it out.

thegreatdane
07-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Ignition safety lock?? Is that only on 88-89 models? because I dont have that problem. Maybe that information ought to go in the FAQ.

And filler bolt is a 17mm socket..

HostileJava
07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Ignition safety lock?? Is that only on 88-89 models? because I dont have that problem. Maybe that information ought to go in the FAQ.

And filler bolt is a 17mm socket..

Yeah I think it's only 88-89 cause my 86 hatch didn't have that.