PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

andresinibus
07-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Tuesday night i lended my car to my cousin (big error) :uh: :burn: He said he was driving and saw the check engine light go on but he didn't bother to check whren he arrived he found out that one of the hoses teared up and losed all the antifrize to make a story short he over heated it and im not sure if he blew the gasket or not. i did found some chocolate milk on the cover of the oil
but every time i check is less and less chocolate milk. my uncle which is a mecanic told me to do an oil change and to put some of that stop a leak in the radiator because the damage didn't seem to be too big. what should i do? :dunno: Also on the third piston i have compression i have spark but it doesn't seem to be working when i pull out the spark plug wire from the spark plug the engine does't goes down a little but if i pull any of the others it does what can it be? Accord 87 Carburator Auto tranny A20A1 2.0

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 09:01 AM
just do what he say's.
does the idle go down when you pull the spark plug.
does it miss??

andresinibus
07-22-2004, 09:59 AM
nothig happens when i pull it out like if its not even working my uncle said that im probably on three spark plugs only

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
the cap must be bad alsoif it does'nt spark when you take it out and leave a distance between the plug wire and the spark plug, either the spark plug wire's are going, or the car is bad.
check inside the distributor for red dust, if thier's red dust the whole assembly is going bad.

andresinibus
07-22-2004, 10:58 AM
the cap must be bad alsoif it does'nt spark when you take it out and leave a distance between the plug wire and the spark plug, either the spark plug wire's are going, or the car is bad.
check inside the distributor for red dust, if thier's red dust the whole assembly is going bad.

i have spark, my wires are almost new, and the spark plug its brand new i just bought it yesterday.i got the spark in the spark plug its just that nothing happens inside the cilinder. just that one.

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 12:45 PM
okay ya got compression.
ya got spark.
but nothing's happening.
does the engine shake period.
or misses period.
try this i'm sure our engine's are capable of running on 2 cylinder's, so dissconnect two of the spark plug wire's if it still run's, then the cylinder has to be working.

88accordalltheway
07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
you still might want to get a new cap. Does the idle sound like its missing a cylender?

andresinibus
07-22-2004, 02:51 PM
you still might want to get a new cap. Does the idle sound like its missing a cylender?

yes it sounds like its missing a cylinder but there is nothing wrong with the cap, rotor, spark plug or spark plug wires because when i pulled out the spark plug i puted ground on the spark plug and i was able to see the spark on the spark plug. what i think is that my cilinder is not holding or pulling enough presure therefore not pulling enough air/fuel mixture into the cilinder or something

SteveDX89
07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Are you grounding the spark plug when you pull it out? If you don't, you won't see a spark. A head gasket shouldn't cause any ignition problems. Change the cap and rotor for sure. Only 15 bucks or so and see if that helps.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
If the ignition components are good and you have good compression in the cylinder, try checking your valves. It's a stretch, but you may have a valve so much out of adjustement that it doesn't open enough to let the air/fuel mixture in. This should be an easy check. Just take off the valve cover and use a wrench to turn the engine. All the valves should be forced down and then released for each cylinder. Also, check to make sure that all the nuts are present on the clearence adjustement screws/tappets. If any nut is missing, there is a chance that the tappet backed out and is not opening the valve sufficiently. While you are messing with the valves, get them adjusted too. Hope this is helpful.

andresinibus
07-26-2004, 08:04 AM
If the ignition components are good and you have good compression in the cylinder, try checking your valves. It's a stretch, but you may have a valve so much out of adjustement that it doesn't open enough to let the air/fuel mixture in. This should be an easy check. Just take off the valve cover and use a wrench to turn the engine. All the valves should be forced down and then released for each cylinder. Also, check to make sure that all the nuts are present on the clearence adjustement screws/tappets. If any nut is missing, there is a chance that the tappet backed out and is not opening the valve sufficiently. While you are messing with the valves, get them adjusted too. Hope this is helpful.

thats more like it thanks. :)