PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light and tranny question

SMaurer32
07-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey all. I have a '89 LX-i with about 145000 miles on it, automatic. Wanted to know a couple things.

One, I don't think I've really paided attention to it but when I first start up my car, all the indicator lights go out except the oil light stays on for like 1-3 seconds more, then goes out. Never comes back on during drive. Is that normal? Need a new oil pump? I recently changed my oil and filter.

Two, when I take a corner and let off the gas sometime when I push the gas the tranny shifts down and rpms shoots the hell up to about 4000rpms. Not normal I know, but sign of dying? Tranny is strong everywhere else... taking off, no rpm racing or shifting bad.

Three, this is a stupid question so be gentle. This is my first 3g and wanted to know if it's normal when using the blinker is the D on the dash suppose to blink to? Told you, dumb question.

I'll probably have some more questions later on. Thanks and great board.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Well I know that if there was a oil problem the oil like would come on and go off and flicker and flicker it would annoy the hell out of you. So I highly doubt there's a problem. Just check your oil to be safe though.

And I don't think the D is supposed to blink, but what do I know I only drive 5 speeds.

-Mike

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
you mean dim when the blinker's on right??
oh and that down shift's and shoot's to 4,000rpm's that honda's technology.
i experinced this on my prevoius lx and lx-i and will on my new lx.
try going 40mph on a straightaway then flooring it, see how ya like it.
oil's fine though, on my 86 the light stayed on for about 5 second's after it first oil chage with me.
these car are VERY reliable and pretty safe (from my exprience).

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
The D is not supposed to blink. I would check the cluster connections to see if any connectors are loose. May also be a grounding problem. You can even go as far as taking off the gauge cluster and checking the lights if it annoys you that much. Hope this helps.