PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fast!

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
k, i just put my new cam in, and now my valves are tapping like crazy. i've adjusted the valve clearance 3 times now, and each time same thing. the first time i went by what's on the hood, and then each time after that i went up one step (ie. from .005-.007 to .006-.008 to .007-.009, and same with exhaust). i even played with the timing real quick, and nothing there either. what should i do? i'm supposed to head to CA tomorrow(although it's not looking like i'll get my new alt today :mad: that i was supposed to have last week..., so i might have to wait till saturday). should i try slightly tighter clearances? any ideas would be nice. oh, it's the colt tri-flow cam, the 260/270 in. and 274 ex.

Ludi Mali
07-22-2004, 03:16 PM
i thought they sent a card with the specs with the new cam

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
i got it used. the specs for it would be the same as stock anyways. at least, that's what someone else said that got it

*edit: would they be tapping if there's too much clearance?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-22-2004, 03:43 PM
are you letting the car warm up to operating temperature? The valves may tap slightly when cold. Once the head warms up the clearences get smaller and the valves will quiet down. If you adjust your valves with the engine warm, you will get incorrect readings. My $.02

NXRacer
07-22-2004, 03:46 PM
be careful man. Justin just FUBAR'd a head on his car because he didnt set the cam right when he installed it. Bent all the valves.

Usually if your valves are tapping its because there is too much clearance i thought. . . . .

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
yah, i think they got warmed up just from the heat outside, much less when i started it up and took it for a test drive. i'm working on my speakers right now, then i'll prolly readjust them to honda spec. i may even do it tomorrow morning, since my alt. still isn't here....

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
k, so just for clarification: when i readjust my valve clearances tomorrow morning to honda spec, and they still tap, do i want to have a bigger clearance or a smaller clearance to get rid of the tapping? i'm gonna do this first thing tomorrow so it won't be warmed up(well..., by running anyways, can't say anything about the sun being right on it by noon). on a side note, i like the new cam, and the power it gives :D

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Be careful not to decrease the valve clearence too much or you might end up burning up a valve. If the clearence is too small, the valve(s) won't close all the way once the engine warms up and you will eventually burn up the valve(s). From what I have heard, Honda's are known for slight valve tapping even when properly adjusted. I wouldn't go too far below factory spec on the clearences. If you know the specs of the regrind on the cam (Mild, wild, etc.) try contacting the company that reground it and ask for what they recommend for valve clearences. Also, you should be OK to adjust clearences in the morning. I think the head temperature should not exceed 20 degrees Celcius during adjustment (read that somewhere). Hope this helps.

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 09:33 AM
k, i just adjusted them back to the normal specs(.005-.007 in. and .010-.012 ex.), and it's still tapping. i was thinking, when i first adjusted them, the clearances were huge it seemed, cuz i had to screw the screw down tons. but, they weren't tapping before. i know that means they were way out of spec before..., but it wasn't tapping either. should i back them off again? or leave them at spec and just deal with the tapping? it's annoying as piss to hear them tapping, and i know it can't be good.

Vinny
07-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Double check your timing as well, it may be an advance timing/detonation knock you're hearing rather than the valves.

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
the thing with the timing is that i played with it, and i completely retarded it all the way even and same thing. unless i somehow got off a tooth on the belt(i seriously hope not...)

*edit: hey, vinny, are the valve specs for the colt cam same as stock?

Vinny
07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I honestly couldnt tell you. I didn't get anything with my cam when I got it back from Colt. Call Geoff directly at (604) 856-3571 and ask him what the valves should be set at. I set mine per the book and they are fine. When in doubt call the manufacturer. You'll usually get much better results than asking here on the board

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 10:11 AM
aight, thanks, i'll try that. just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, what happens if my timing belt is off a tooth or two?

Vinny
07-23-2004, 10:17 AM
it will run but not very well. Mine was off a few teeth and the power band didn't really kick in until like 4500-5k, then it was a kick in the ass up to redline. I guess it would just depend if it was too many teeth ahead or behind on how it ran. Either way Your ignition and valve timing will be all dickered.

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
well.., i checked the cam gear/timing belt, and when the flywheel is at TDC, the cam gear is perfectly level with the head. i'm still thinking i might just back them off the way it was when i first checked them, just to get rid of the annoying tapping.

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
soo..., for an update, i took the car to a japanese auto mechanic shop, and explained the whole new cam, i adjusted them and stuff..., and he said well let me listen to it. so, i started it up, and he said it's sounds great. so, i guess i just let it get to my head or something. i do know that whatever the tapping is from, it's louder than it was before, but apparently(i know that's spelled wrong) for a cam regrind, it's not bad. soo.., yah, i guess i just needed a trained ear or something.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Because Honda doesn't use automatic adjusters for the valve clearence, you will hear some valvetrain noise. Since the valves are on top under a thin valve cover, it's not surprising to hear the rockers tapping on the valve stems. Glad you got it adjusted. :D

A20A1
07-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Do you think that the timing belt was off a tooth when you set TDC for each piston... and did you turn the crank the right way each time you set the next TDC. What did you look at to check TDC?