PDA

View Full Version : Popping out of gear

iron
07-24-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey guys got any ideas on this one? Hopefully not ANOTHER tranny rebuild. I just finished working on my 87 lx 5sp and took it out for a test drive. It still has trouble idling, so I'll be rebuilding the carb after all, but when at highway speed tonight (60 to 70) it started kicking out of 5th gear. It'll stay in 5th at 45 mp but get it up to 60 and pop out it comes. I just had this thing rebuilt like a thousand miles ago. No strange noises like the time the bearing blew, any ideas?

shepherd79
07-24-2004, 03:52 AM
it something inside the tranny. take it to a shop that did and tell them to fix it if it still under warranty.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2004, 10:30 AM
It may be low on oil. You may want to check the level. Other people have reported a similar problem right before the fifth gear went south. The Accord transmissions are very sensitive to low lubricant levels. Hope this helps you.

k-roy
07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I changed the tranny oil and did not put enough back in and it kept popping out of fifth gear. 5th is the highest gear so if the level is low it slips out. Try topping off the fluid with the car jacked up on the passenger side so you can get the most amount in there possibl. Do it quick before the gear gets bunt out.

iron
07-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be checking the level in the am. No warranty on the tranny it was a junkyard rebuild :( Hell haven't managed to get a thousand miles on the tranny since it was rebuilt almost a year ago, something else always breaks and I sideline the car. Before long I should have a brand new car at this rate!

87accordlxi
07-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Yep, it's the oil. When I first got my car, it kept popping out of 5th gear. If I wasn't quick enough after it popped out, the cruise control would wring out the engine.

iron
07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Well it was a little low, bad news is more oil didn't cure it. My mechanic thinks it's a synchronizer. I think that this time I'll rebuild the thing myself. Dreading that though. Maybe I'll just find another tranny and swap it in. This car is dragging me kicking screaming into ares of auto mechanics I'd always wanted to avoid! :)