PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation question...

1989accordaz
07-24-2004, 08:53 AM
I am rotating my tires on a 89 Accord LX. Since I am doing it myself, will I need to do any balancing/alignment on them? I am using non-directional tires.

accordlxi2.0
07-24-2004, 09:25 AM
well, if you can balance em yourself why not.
but rear goes up front and vice-versa for the front.

ag bullet
07-24-2004, 09:50 AM
well, if you can balance em yourself why not.
but rear goes up front and vice-versa for the front.

Actually the preferred way to rotate (at least at the Discount Tire Co. that I work at) is to drop the fronts straight back and cross the rears up. So LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR and RR to LF.

I would recommend balancing them if possible even if you carry them somewhere before you rotate them. Balancing will give you a smooth ride and increase your tire's life. Most shops if you bring them in loose will just charge you about $5/wheel.

1989accordaz
07-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Actually the preferred way to rotate (at least at the Discount Tire Co. that I work at) is to drop the fronts straight back and cross the rears up. So LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR and RR to LF.

I would recommend balancing them if possible even if you carry them somewhere before you rotate them. Balancing will give you a smooth ride and increase your tire's life. Most shops if you bring them in loose will just charge you about $5/wheel.

You are right ag, that is the right rotation pattern for a our front wheel drive accords. Thanks for the pointer on "bring them in loose" Didn't think of that.

HondaBoy
07-25-2004, 04:38 PM
places here where i live are expensive so i used to always just rotate them myself and not get them balanced. i should now since i have a service plan on my yokohama's with sears. its worth it to get them balanced.

Busted_Blue
07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
BEWARE THOUGH, if you have directional tires..you will only be able to put rear tires on the front witout going against the tires direction.

LF to LR
LR to LF
RF to RR
RR to RF

thats pretty much the only way for directional tires..unless you want to remount tires and do it the right way..lol