PDA

View Full Version : car wont start..new plugs?

norfolk 86dx
07-24-2004, 09:44 AM
hey everyone i just switched out my plugs and wires ngk-r plugs with the auto zone brand wires, now the car will NOT start back up it just sounds like somethings spooling but nothings catching first just to make sure i do hook up the bottom female on the cap to the first plug right... please help i need to go get my girl from work in 3 hours :mad:

nswst8
07-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Did you replace them one at a time or did you remove them all possible that you got the fire order mixed.
Check to see if all the boots are seated.
If all you did was change the wires and plugs and it was running before the it should fire up again.
Did you change the Distributor cap and rotor button also.

maka_RTH
07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
on the cap it tells you what cylinder it is(i believe, ie. IIII for four, II for two, etc.) if your's doesn't have it, then on the cap, from bottom to top, its 3, 1, 2, 4. and, rom the front of the car, the cylinders are from left to right(dist. to t-belt), 4, 3, 2, 1. so, if that helps any and i just didn't conuse the hack outta ya, then ya.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2004, 10:39 AM
I just took a look at my cap which is the type with the terminals sticking up and the order is 4-2-1-3 starting with the terminal closest to the firewall. Hope this helps.

Edit: maka_RTH you beat me to it! :D

maka_RTH
07-24-2004, 10:47 AM
I just took a look at my cap which is the type with the terminals sticking up and the order is 4-2-1-3 starting with the terminal closest to the firewall. Hope this helps.

Edit: maka_RTH you beat me to it! :D

oh yah i did :rockon: it's only cuz i played around with it a lot the past couple days, so i had it memorized ;)

norfolk 86dx
07-24-2004, 09:49 PM
ok i got the new plugs gapped to 44mm didnt work, i can still pop the clutch and it starts, so its not the belt, it idles high, i put the old plugs back in even when i put the car in gear and try to start it it dosent jump.....im thinking i messed sumthin up anyone ever hear of a distributer or starter going bad from mis fires i did have the sequence all wrong after all, it just sounds like its spooling

steve-024
07-24-2004, 10:28 PM
maybe u didnt have the plugs in far enough ? or your wires werent going in the right places ?

shepherd79
07-25-2004, 04:01 AM
you plug wires are not in right places. recheck them.

norfolk 86dx
07-25-2004, 02:21 PM
ive tried every combination i could with the plugs still sothing then i just looked on the side of the cap and used that combo anf left it there but it still wont start ....do i need a new distributor?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Make sure that the plugs are gapped according to the specs on the label under the hood. The cap should have the correct firing order. Make sure that you are attaching the wires to the correct plugs. Looking from the front of the car, the cylinders are as follows: 4-3-2-1

Try reinstalling the old wires and see if it helps. Also, make sure the connectors on the plugs are seating all the way. Verify that you have spark by taking out the plugs and grounding them to the block. Crank the engine and the spark plugs should spark. It would also be a good idea to take a look at the cap, make sure it is tightened down correctly. If you messed with the rotor, check it as well. Also, check the wire going to the coil. If you have spark at the plugs, you don't need a new distributor. The spark should be strong and visible. Hope this helps.

HondaBoy
07-25-2004, 04:20 PM
do make sure that you've gapped the pluggs properly. i've found that leaving too narrow of a gap will cause the plugs to fould out faster than gapping them right. anyone else find that to be true? spark plug gap is .044 on a standard plug gapper. even if one of the wires or plugs were to be messed up, the engine will usually start. will run funny, but starts. even been know to start with wires in incorrect order. hope you get that problem fixed asap.

k-roy
07-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Try using the old wires with the new plugs. Sometimes the "correct" wired don't work or make a proper contact. I reccomend NGK wires.

FishyMan
07-25-2004, 10:54 PM
anybody got any diy ??

i have to do it..

k-roy
07-26-2004, 02:51 AM
anybody got any diy ??

i have to do it..
Remove one wire, then replace it with the new one. Do that 4 times, then there is another wire for the ignition coil. If you do one at a time its impossible to screw up. Super super easy.

FishyMan
07-26-2004, 04:53 PM
haha :) i am a damn noob, w/ zip experience. well some, i am learning here and there and getting to be more 'mechanically' literate. bought 3geez to learn 5speed and to learn car stuff i guess.

basically i want to replace the plugs, wires. do i need to replace the cap and rotor? or can i wait next time, as fundings limit me.

i took notice of firing order, and what not. i am not sure of terms like gapping, do i have to gap them myself? or what not? and exactly what tools i'll need for this process. any body can recommend tools? spark plug wrench? gap guage? i guess tools being important as w/o them i can't do anything.

Where can i get some ngk wires and replacement parts? Are checkers and napa good places? or is online better?

thank you. i am continuing my search on the old forums.

:help:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2004, 05:27 AM
To gap the plugs, you can get a cheap gauge at any autoparts store. The gauge looks like a big steel coin that has a chisel edge on one side and a gauge edge on the other. The cap and rotor do no necessarily have to be replaced with the wires as long as they are in good condition. To remove the plugs you will need a spark plug socket(the larger variety, 2 types available, you need the big one :D). Some antiseize compound would also be a good idea to make the job easier next time. The anti-seize is applied to the threads so the plugs come out easier next time. Most autoparts stores carry NGK products. For the correct partnumbers, look on your underhood label. Since Honda originally used NGK plugs, the correct part number is listed on the sticker. In addition, most plug manufacturers state that their plugs are pregapped. Regap them regardless since most of the time they are way out of spec. Gapping the plugs is easy. First slide in the gauge. If the gap is too large, carefully bend the metal tip toward the electrode. Carefull taping with the gauge usually does the trick. If the gap is too small, use the chisel end of the gauge as a wedge between the electrode and the tip. Be carefull not to damage the electrode. Hope this helps.

norfolk 86dx
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
ok, i put the old plugs back in and im still not starting up i took the wire off the ignition coil and turned the key and my friend said he saw the spark i also , took the wire off of the cap leading to my first cylinder and nothing, same when i took it off the spark plug.....so now im not sure what it is im guessing its either the cap rotor button rotor or distributor, im hoping its just the cap because a new distributor is 208 dollars @ advanced auto parts, can someone please help

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-29-2004, 08:06 AM
ok, to check for spark you need to unscrew the spark plug, ground the threaded side to the engine and crank the engine over. There should be a spark from the electrode. The cap and rotor are easy to replace and can cause what you are describing. Since you get sparks from the coil, that part of the system is ok. Your best bet would be to swap out the cap and rotor and see if it helps. Another possibility is the igniter (if your's is separate) which is housed under a rectangular cover on the distributor. They are known to go bad and cause problems.

FishyMan
07-30-2004, 05:25 PM
okay i got teh coin thing, and it seems all teh ngk need to open up a little bit cuz the gap seems a bit small.

how do i do this? pliers? i just ahve the cheapo gapper... 99 cent one.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-31-2004, 06:18 AM
The gapper should have a wedge-like edge on one end. Use this wedge to open up the gap. You basically insert the wedge between the electrode and the metal piece above it. You only need to apply a little force to slowly open the gap to the correct spec. Using pliers may damage the plug and result in an uneven gap.

norfolk 86dx
07-31-2004, 12:27 PM
ok......new 44m gapped plugs ngk, new wires, new cap, new rotor, firing order is currently set at 4213, if your in front of the car it should look like 4321(cylinders)....the sound it makes is the exact same sound the car makes when u try to start a car thats already started..........WHATS WRONG WITH THIS CAR, sumbody please help

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-31-2004, 12:30 PM
If you mean that the car makes a grinding-type sound (starter grinds against ring gear while engine is running), then you have a problem with the starter or the ring gear. Could be broken teeth, or the starter gear may not be coming out far enough to engage the ring gear.

norfolk 86dx
08-01-2004, 07:23 AM
have you ever heard of this happening from a car that was misfiring, and what can i do to fix this

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-01-2004, 10:19 AM
I have never encountered that kind of problem as a result of misfiring although it may be possible that with incorrect spark plug timing/order the engine kicked back and caused damage either to the starter or the ring gear. To check for damage, remove the starter and look at its gear. If any teeth are missing, replace it. To check the ring gear, remove the timing plug from the transmission and rotate the engine by hand. (There is a round rubber plug in the driver side wheel well. Remove it and insert a ratchet through the opened hole to reach the crankshaft pulley nut. Turn the engine over counter-clockwise.) Through the hole in the transmission you can see the ring gear teeth. If any are broken, you'll need to remove the transmission, and replace either the flywheel or the torque converter.

norfolk 86dx
08-02-2004, 05:42 AM
anyone wanna buy an accord?

norfolk 86dx
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
please sumbody make me an offer for this car so i can get rid of it

norfolk 86dx
08-05-2004, 12:27 AM
500 bucks and ill throw in the mtx box but thats all

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Try posting about it in the Marketplace section. You would have more luck there than trying to sell the car in Technical. BTW, did you diagnose the problem already or just tired of messing with it?

norfolk 86dx
08-05-2004, 09:50 PM
turns out i just broke a wing on the started because the nut was loose and it had alot of kick back from mis firing, i bought a new starter im gonna get it put on tomorrow....but i found a 91 integra i want for only 650 so im trying to sell my car

norfolk 86dx
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
pics are available