PDA

View Full Version : So I tried to fix my AC problem with a new fuse...

ag bullet
07-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Basically I replaced the 10A fuse with a 15A one. I was enjoying nice cool AC and then it blew the fuse (almost to the point of it being melted). Nothing on that circuit works (HVAC panel, rear defroster). I metered the fuse slot and it is getting a full 12V. Did I blow a relay or another fuse somewhere?

accordlxi2.0
07-25-2004, 05:25 PM
there's a short somewhere, it could be the compressor relay.

Mac
07-25-2004, 06:12 PM
If it is fuse #5 it might be the compressor that is blowing fuse.

ag bullet
07-26-2004, 02:31 AM
If it is fuse #5 it might be the compressor that is blowing fuse.

I know for sure that the compressor is blowing the fuse. I am not gonna use the AC until I get that fixed/replaced. However the defroster would be nice, so I am really trying to figure out why it isn't working now that there is a good fuse in there.

My guess is that I also cooked a relay.

accordlxi2.0
07-26-2004, 07:51 AM
that may have been the problem in the first place.
relay can cause that, hi resistance with-in the relay.

Vinny
07-26-2004, 07:54 AM
I'll try to remember to bring my electrical servce manual in after lunch and see if I can help you out. The best way to start trouble shooting this would be to disconnect each component in the circuit and see if it still blows a fuse. If it doesnt blow a fuse then its more than likely a component and not wiring. Then reconnect one thing at a time and see what exactly is causing the fuse to blow. Shouldnt be too hard to do. I'll let ya know what I can find later today

HostileJava
07-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Boy, I really hope it's a relay that was damaged and not somthing more. I can't stress how important it is not to just keep replacing fuses or put a "bigger" fuse in. You risk damaging your electrical system if you keep replacing fuses and putting a larger fuse in is an even worse idea. I've seen electronics come in here that had a problem that may have cost 100-125 to fix and we end up either trashing the unit or if it's worth it the customers ends up spending anywhere from 200-800 fixing it because they just kept replacing the fuse and damaging more components.

ag bullet
07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I'll try to remember to bring my electrical servce manual in after lunch and see if I can help you out. The best way to start trouble shooting this would be to disconnect each component in the circuit and see if it still blows a fuse. If it doesnt blow a fuse then its more than likely a component and not wiring. Then reconnect one thing at a time and see what exactly is causing the fuse to blow. Shouldnt be too hard to do. I'll let ya know what I can find later today

Right now I can't get power to anything on that circuit. With the main AC relay out, I still saw 12V on the fuse under the dash. The Defroster Fuse under the hood (30A?) is still intact as well.

Mac
07-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Try disconnecting the wire to the compressor, and put another 10 amp fuse (correct size) in. Like stated above if you are blowing fuses don't put a bigger one in. When you disconnect the compressor wire check the wire. Make sure that there is no exposed wire touching any metal. Again disconnect the compressor and put everything back in and try the defrost.