PDA

View Full Version : Converting to 5 speed!!!

Bloodlust
07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Well people, the person who said he would never convert to 5 speed has finally given in to the almighty beast. I am officially converting to 5 speed. I have already gotten all the parts I need from an 89 lxi 5 speed with only 75,000 miles on it. Got all the parts for 450 bucks with warranties. I cant do the swap myself so I am getting a shop to do it for around 600-800 bucks depending on if they run into any problems or not.

Just thought Id let you guys know.

Bloodlust
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Guess nobody cares huh :(

hondamanlxi
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
i do! your wrists are happy your not installing the pedals :) it looked like i tried to commit suicide when i finished lol!

NXRacer
07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
nice. after you're done you'll wonder why you didnt do this when you first bought your car. :D

HostileJava
07-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Yea good job mike, hopefully one day mine will eventually be done and this nightmare will be over and I can drive my car again. If it's done first you know I'll let you try it out.

nice. after you're done you'll wonder why you didnt do this when you first bought your car. :D

You mean he'll wonder why he didn't have a garage do it for him. Sorry Mikey you knew I had to sneak that in there.

Bloodlust
07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Yea good job mike, hopefully one day mine will eventually be done and this nightmare will be over and I can drive my car again. If it's done first you know I'll let you try it out.

You mean he'll wonder why he didn't have a garage do it for him. Sorry Mikey you knew I had to sneak that in there.

Haha you bastard I knew you would say something like that.

Im really looking forward to driving stick though. Im sure it will be quite an experience trying to learn. :pc:

AccordEpicenter
07-26-2004, 02:40 PM
have fun with it...

blazin3gen
07-26-2004, 03:03 PM
about facken time u mofo!!

once u go 5speed u never go back!

nswst8
07-26-2004, 05:10 PM
I knew you couldn't resist, sorry your weren't close I'd do it for you for half that price. :sadwave:
You'll be happy with the results. :rockon:

lightbulblxi
07-26-2004, 05:43 PM
hah, yea man, like luis said, bout fackin time! ahah. hes comin away from the darkside!

Mike89Accordcom
07-26-2004, 11:31 PM
ya I don't give a _ _ _ _.........haha well actually I do. Congrats Mike.

Bloodlust
07-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys. I drove stick for my third time ever last night in my stepbrother's jeep (different jeep, different stepbrother, new clutch) and let me tell u what, I was driving like a veteran. Its so damn fun. Only thing i had problems with was not giving enough gas when shifting in 1st so the entire car shook around but I think Ill get the hang of it. Anyone else have these problems?

NXRacer
07-27-2004, 08:50 AM
thats the hardest thing for newbie stick drivers to get a handle on. that and uphill starts.

remember, its all about proportions between the gas and clutch movement. the more one is pressed down, the other one should be moving in the opposite direction during shifts.

HostileJava
07-27-2004, 09:16 AM
thats the hardest thing for newbie stick drivers to get a handle on. that and uphill starts.

remember, its all about proportions between the gas and clutch movement. the more one is pressed down, the other one should be moving in the opposite direction during shifts.

Mike it's just easier of you press on the gas as hard as you can and let the clutch out. Trust me :kekeke:

tatmark1
07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
id do it for half that price too

maka_RTH
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
WAY TO GO!!! so, yah, you'll enjoy it when it's done.

Scorpion88LX
07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
the way i learnd was a 9,000 mile road trip the summer i got my learners permit. every thing was great till we got to the coastal highways of oragan.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2004, 05:32 PM
If you are worried about uphill starts, practice on your driveway, or some other inclined area. It will teach you to stay calm and not try to wrestle the car up the hill (newbie mistake, causes the car to stall as you dump the clutch and can cause an accident). All it takes is a little finesse and a bit of experience to be smooth with the stickshift. My $.02

blazin3gen
07-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys. I drove stick for my third time ever last night in my stepbrother's jeep (different jeep, different stepbrother, new clutch) and let me tell u what, I was driving like a veteran. Its so damn fun. Only thing i had problems with was not giving enough gas when shifting in 1st so the entire car shook around but I think Ill get the hang of it. Anyone else have these problems?

lol your doin what i was doin in my rookie days i would give it gas and just realese the clutch and it would stutter then turn off

here do this till u become a pro give it gas and release the clutch alittle not alot, then when u feel it moving start giving it gas and gently removin the clutch its ez i love drivin stick! :rockon:

Bloodlust
07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
lol your doin what i was doin in my rookie days i would give it gas and just realese the clutch and it would stutter then turn off

here do this till u become a pro give it gas and release the clutch alittle not alot, then when u feel it moving start giving it gas and gently removin the clutch its ez i love drivin stick! :rockon:

The funny thing is that is what I did when I tried reverse for my first time. I guess I just need to learn to do it while going forward. :uh:

sporkHSP
07-27-2004, 10:43 PM
my car has been on jacks since friday night in my garage, i have to rent an air compressor to get these flexplate bolts off and then the rebuild begins... im hoping it can be running by when my uncle comes in town this weekend, he'll get a kick out of the whole swap

steve-024
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
haha yeah 5 speeds are so sweet , i used to own an old chevy spectrum haha and i just ratted the shit out of that clutch . trying to go from first to 3rd all the time ahd so on haha !

88LXi68
07-28-2004, 05:30 PM
i have to rent an air compressor to get these flexplate bolts off

Use some muscle and a pry bar to jam the flex plate!

sporkHSP
07-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Use some muscle and a pry bar to jam the flex plate!
yeah now i just gotta get some help lifting this tranny into place to bolt everything together.

Wipeout
08-08-2004, 07:18 PM
I learned how to drive a 5spd well in my Accord. Hondas are really good learner cars. The problem I had when I was learning didn't really have to do with learning at all. I'm real absent minded and would end up putting in the clutch, slowing to a stop, then just taking my foot off the clutch while it was still in gear. That and forgetting to shift back into first when I wanted to go. I ended up starting in second and third a lot.. and neutral.. you'd think I do a lot of drugs or something, the way I do that stuff. :p

sporkHSP
08-08-2004, 11:34 PM
i finished the swap. everything is in good order, except a really annoying rattle that i need to find.... but yeah, its really fun to drive now, no more rubbing transmission or lack of power. i still kill it alot (i learned how to drive after the swap) but its still alot more fun to drive now.

Bloodlust
08-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Im still waiting to get the ECU and the Drivers side axle. Both I have but I dont actually have physically (If that makes any sense.) But as soon as I have them both its going right to the shop.

Vinny
08-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Mike you dont need the ECU. Why bother waisting your money on something that you dont need.

cdscowboy
08-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Mike you dont need the ECU. Why bother waisting your money on something that you dont need.

:werd: I didn't change my ECU when I did the swap. Car runs just fine!

P.S. You'll LOVE the 5spd! :D

AccordAddict
08-10-2004, 07:12 PM
ooooo your making me jealous! i want a five speed!!!! damn how much are they charging you at the shop bloodlust?

sporkHSP
08-10-2004, 11:37 PM
*cough* doityourself *cough* its easier than it sounds, cheaper, and a good learning experience.

RobbyKlotz
08-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I am thinking about doing it. My auto tranny is slipping really bad.

joker2
08-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Yeah, don't waste money on another ECU.... I still have my auto ECU in as well and no problems... :cool: