PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find tuning specs for boxes and subs??

bc86
07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
My plan is to run 2, 12" alpine Type S subs. Lookin to have a custom box made up for this, but not quite sure what to ask for. I want the lowest decibal possiable.. I think, i dont really know. I want lots of bass. The most I can possiably get. I have to ports on my hatch. Would it be advised to have a box made so the ports come straight into my car?? Any idea on sites to visit where I can aquire more information.

shepherd79
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
if you want a lot of bass, Alpine type S is not the subs you need to go with. they are good for sound quality.
i would go with something like alpine type R or other brand that can handle 500 and up watts.

bc86
07-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Im not running competition, just want something half decent. Spend more on subs and get more bass?? Thx tip. The thread had nothing to do with " should I buy the best alpine subs to get bass" No offense.

Lookin forward to replys based on the topic.

88accordalltheway
07-26-2004, 03:36 PM
yea, also look into infinity subs, there just like alpine, just a little cheaper in price, with slight difference in quality. Look on the alpine website for the specs for the very perfect box. Are you going to have tuned ports or sealed box?

bc86
07-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Not sure on what to go with, thats what im trying to figure out. Just need to know pro/coms of each...

accordfever
07-26-2004, 04:57 PM
not sure on what the exact air space is for your alpine subs are but the general requirements are 1sq foot for sealed and 2sq feet for ported. This what I have experienced I had 2 12" MTX Thunder 6000 running in a sealed box it hit 120db with a Bazooka 600watt mono amp. the box had shared airspace, now I have same amp with 1 12" Bazooka DVC P. Miller series hitting 130db. The sound quality on both are about the same I think the 1 sub is louder because I am using the same box that was made for 2 12" subs now like a ported box for the one even though I haven't ported the box yet the non playing sub is doing the job of a port. my next step to see if I can get a few more db out of it and not loose any sound quality is to port the box. Now the rule is this
1. Sealed takes the most power to run has the lowest db but the best sound quality so if you have a good amp and is more into great sound quality go sealed.
2. Ported takes the least amount of power to run has the higher db in all frequency ranges but worse sound quality then sealed. so if you want it loud and have the room for a ported box go ported.
3. Bandpass (not recommended) takes a little bit of power to run almost comparable to ported only handles deep bass terrible with frequencies close to mid bass sound quality is terrible IMO. I don't recommend bandpass in a trunk if you have a hatch it maybe ok but sound quality is not going to be there I know I made that mistake already.

bc86
07-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Excellent, this reply really helps me