PDA

View Full Version : new transmission time

88'er
07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
well it think she's getting close to kicking it! my tranny's syncros are going out! i think i'd rather just see about getting a new tranny for it and getting a dual disc clutch too. anyone know what would be a good price for a new tranny for my 88 LXi? and how hard it is to replace one?

k-roy
07-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Its not an easy job, but if you are confidant and have experience with a wrench its entirely possible.
You can get one from a junkyard for under $200 if you shop aroung. Just try to get one with the lowest mileage possible. Oh, look for an 84-87 Prelude Si A20 tranny, it has better gearing.

AccordEpicenter
07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
switch to GM syncromesh FM... it might save your old tranny

88'er
07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
well i'd say i'm not too confident in my skills i think i might be able to get it out of a "junker" but i'm totally sure on that. i'm still pretty much a newbie. so would the tranny from the prelude be a direct fit or require some modification?

k-roy
07-28-2004, 02:45 AM
well i'd say i'm not too confident in my skills i think i might be able to get it out of a "junker" but i'm totally sure on that. i'm still pretty much a newbie. so would the tranny from the prelude be a direct fit or require some modification?
It comes from an A20, no modifications needed.

ehulst
07-28-2004, 06:31 AM
switch to GM syncromesh FM... it might save your old tranny
My Trans is syncro are all fucked and i'm sure its not even in good shape if there wasn't any fluid in there( NOT MY FAULT, I NEVER SAW ANYTHING ON THE DRIVE WAY OR A SIGN OF A LEAK, IT DISAPEARED!!!NO JOKE), it doesn't shift out of first and it has to redline for like 2 mins before i does anything, pain in the ass, i just got it towed back from the shop after having having it towed there, but yet another problem happend.....and he said its not worth doing a tranny swap to it....where can i find this stuff and has anyone had the same thing that i'm going through, and used this syncromesh to fix the problem??

89 Accords Rock
07-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Well I just replaced my tranny. Well I took it out anyways. I bought one from the local JSPEC dealer and it doesnt fit properly the spindles are different. So i took the new one out again... Its not hard to change your tranny. I took mine out in under an hour, no joke. Its really easy... Just remove the starter, then the upper engine mount, then remove the exhaust support from underneath the car, and then the 5 bolts around the top of the tranny and it slides right out. If you need any more information, let me know and ill guide you through what you need to know and what you would need to complete the process.

ehulst
07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Well I just replaced my tranny. Well I took it out anyways. I bought one from the local JSPEC dealer and it doesnt fit properly the spindles are different. So i took the new one out again... Its not hard to change your tranny. I took mine out in under an hour, no joke. Its really easy... Just remove the starter, then the upper engine mount, then remove the exhaust support from underneath the car, and then the 5 bolts around the top of the tranny and it slides right out. If you need any more information, let me know and ill guide you through what you need to know and what you would need to complete the process.

DO u think its worth doing it, i mean my car is an 86 has 174k on it, and the tranny is the biggest problem, i bought the car for 400 bucks and spent 1700 in repairs and over 400 of my own hours in fixing it up to my standards....the paint's clear coat is shot, u can scratch it with a finger nail, i have a gold civic rim in the front everything else is JDM look,black rims, primer still on rust holes, engine bay has alot of oil, along with the hood, new tires on the front old ones on the back, this is DEF a junker, as much as i love it, Dam this is baddd...lol....how much did u pay for a tranny, i mean i don't want to do this i wanna get a CRX or something and do a complet D series V-Tec Swap into it...but this is my only car at the moment and i'm not really wanting to do anything mroe to it.....just get rid of for a parts car...

89 Accords Rock
07-30-2004, 06:23 PM
umm it cost me 600 for the tranny. But thats installing it myself. And that was a brand new transmission from the jspec place so not new new but new if ya know what i mean LO!L