PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it?

Sleepy
07-26-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking about getting an '87 accord Dx, problem is, there is a lot that needs to be done. there is no driver side window, hood latch, corner light is missing, looks like there might be something wrong with the headlight cause it doesn't sit right in the bucket and the reflector piece is missing, the timing needs adjusted cause it dies if it goes below about 2.5 rpm(how do you fix that?), and it has a tow lien that has to be taken to DMV to get a title, and prolly a few more things that I forgot about. the good news(maybe) tho is that it's only 300 bucks. I found a site that has replacement parts like oem fenders, hoods, light etc... that doesn't seem to have too bad of prices, I'm sure there are probably slavage yards around me but I don't have a clue where. anyway back to the point, do you think it would be worth it to get it and fix it up or try to find something better. thanks, Sleepy

blazin3gen
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
i think it isnt worth it especially because the 2 main probs are carb and dx i would try to look around some more hopefully for a lxi or even lx but its really up to u if u want to persue such a project!

A20A1
07-27-2004, 01:55 AM
well maybe maybe not... I'm just worried that it was in a decent wreck... the carb would be okay if you are able to do without emissions testing.

If it has been sitting for a long time the carb and fuel tank will have a ton of buildup... you should replace the fuel filters and such and clean the fuel bowl of the carb at the same time... if it's not your daily driver you'll have the needed time to go back and forth from this site to troubleshoot problems...

how were the fluid levels and fluid colors?

Sleepy
07-28-2004, 06:58 AM
I don't even have my license yet, so it's really not goingto be going anywhere soon, so I have the time to fix what's wrong(with the help of 3geez of course :cool: ) I didn't check any of the fluids, this would only be my second car(i bought the first from my mom after I put it in a tree) and I don't have to worry about emmisions testing where I live so that's not a problem. He said that he's had it for about 6 months and hasn't been able to do any work on it so he's selling it. here is the original ad, http://portland.craigslist.org/car/36010825.html Thanks guys, Sleepy

NXRacer
07-28-2004, 08:20 AM
its not even worth it. You can find someting 10 times better for only a little more. if you're not driving yet, you might as well wait until something really good comes along.

Bloodlust
07-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Its definitely not worth it. You can find plenty of 3g's anywhere that are still in decent shape, and you might be lucky enough to find yourself an SE-i. A DX is just not worth enough to fix. (No offense to the DX people.)

88accordhb
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
worth it...if it's free.

epic1400cs
08-02-2004, 12:38 AM
I think all the parts you have to buy and hassle you have to make will make you think 'Hmm repair cost me more than the car...'. In the end it will be more economical and enjoyable experience for you to buy a car which doesn't need so much fixing. My mate told me 'first time' is very important....

However, if you have strong attachment to the car (ie; you are given somebody's car) it might be rewarding experience to go through all that. If not I bet you should research thoroughly and wait a bit. Better deal is just around the corner waiting for you.

k-roy
08-02-2004, 12:48 AM
I say go for it. Since you are not driving you can take your time and learn a ton along the way. Plus you will have the self satisfaction of doing all the work yourself. All you need is 3 things. 3geez, a $100 basic toolkit with sockets and screwdrivers, and the manual. You can get the manual from www.pauldesign.ru for free (thanks Paul). A running car for $300 is not that common of a find. Also if you want to find a junkyard crack open your local yellow pages. They are usually listed under Automotive salvage, junkyards or used parts. Here is a site you should check out for yards www.car-part.com

Good luck and don't listen to most of the guys in this post. Im all for "sweat equity" This site can help you with most of the things you will need to know. You can even get some good deals off ebay or the 3geez marketplace.

Sleepy
08-02-2004, 01:29 AM
thanks for all the replies everybody, I've been thinking about it a lot. 300 for a running car is pretty good and I figured, hey if I get it and I can't do anything with it I'm only out 300 instead of 3000. but then I get to thinking about the space that I don't have to put it, I live with my mom in a rented duplex and I have that beat up corolla that I don't know what to do with(my mom said that if the 'rolla tires will fit on the 'cord I better switch them cuz they're brand new lol) anyway, I also found a **GASP** 4th gen accord only 16 miles away for 1500, so I'm going to try and get a loan from my bank cuz the dealer doesn't do financing. wish me luck lol. later guys and thanks again for all the replies