PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light Showing

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 02:38 AM
My battery light is showing on my dash.. i checked the book and it said that it could me my alternator.. its fine.. could it be that the battery is low cause is says nothing about that in the book..

SteveDX89
07-27-2004, 02:53 AM
How do you know the alternator is fine? Did you have it tested? The reason you're battery would be low is because you alternator is not re-charging it. Take the alternator to be tested and get a new one if necessary.

Vinny
07-27-2004, 04:03 AM
check your belt tension as well. A loose belt will cause you're charge light to come on

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 04:13 AM
yeh i just assumed the belt is there and only said it after i was mucking around with soem neons.

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Now ive just noticed when going for a drive that the neons turn off when i turn headlights on.. lol.. they neons are hooked in the back of the cigeratte lighter.

Vinny
07-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Something definitely wrong woth your alternator then. If its not putting out enough juice things will mysteriously start turning off on you

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 05:43 AM
okie cheers for help dude's ill get it check tomorow

shepherd79
07-27-2004, 05:45 AM
plus you not supposed to hook up the neons from the cigaret lighter circuit.

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Ther interior ones two of them.. were do ya hook them up too??

shepherd79
07-27-2004, 05:49 AM
run a wire with a fuse from a battery.
oh yeah, and replace the alternator because it is not giving any charge.

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 06:02 AM
cheers.. now i just need some money.. can ya get them fixed or not worth it?

HostileJava
07-27-2004, 06:09 AM
cheers.. now i just need some money.. can ya get them fixed or not worth it?

Just replace it. Although your Cig lighter provides more then enough amperage to power some neons it's always better to run them on there own fused circuit.

AccordAddict
07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
if you run small neons from the batt will it blow them up? because the batt has alot more power than the neons need. just wondering cuz i want to set my neons up to the batt instead of the cig lighter also.

SteveDX89
07-27-2004, 11:52 AM
You get 12V from the battery. You get 12V from the cig lighter. Makes no difference. I had neons wired up like that on my old car. I used a switch in there too so I just had to flip them on.

HostileJava
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
The difference is the amperage draw, each ciricuit is setup to handle only so much current. It should be fine hooked into the lighter circuit as long as you don't try to run to much else off of it. It is always better of course to run it off or it's own circuit.

Vinny
07-27-2004, 04:20 PM
I have no idea what you 2 are babbling about. Voltage draws on a circuit dont mean anything since each seperate system runs off the exact same source. Its not going to create any bigger draw on the charging system as a whole because if you plug it HERE or HERE or HERE they all get their powere from THERE. if you pull too many amps the fuse blows, hence the amperage ratings on fuses. Load the shit up til the fuse blows......then put a bigger fuse it til it doesnt blow anymore. Or so people's wisdom seems to guide them to do

HostileJava
07-27-2004, 04:26 PM
I have no idea what you 2 are babbling about. Amperage draws on a circuit dont mean anything since each seperate system runs off the exact same source. Its not going to create any bigger draw on the charging system as a whole because if you plug it HERE or HERE or HERE they all get their powere from THERE. if you pull too many amps the fuse blows, hence the amperage ratings on fuses. Load the shit up til the fuse blows......then put a bigger fuse it til it doesnt blow anymore. Or so people's wisdom seems to guide them to do

Now your just spewing bad ideas. I didn't say a word about it affecting the charging system, all I said was it's a bad idea to put to much on one circuit because bad things, like melting wire, low voltage which damages electronics, and fuses blowing occurs when you do this. Just neons a few other low amprage devices won't make a big deal on the cig circuit, but working at an electronics shop I like to do it the proper way just cause I see everyday what happens when you dont.

Vinny
07-27-2004, 04:31 PM
I HOPE everyone knows I was kidding about the fuses

NEVER EVER EVER put a larger fuse than the rated one. BAD BAD BAD things can happen

HostileJava
07-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I HOPE everyone knows I was kidding about the fuses

NEVER EVER EVER put a larger fuse than the rated one. BAD BAD BAD things can happen

See now you have to watch what you say Mr Mod. You start saying things without using the silly faces and people think your serious. Then they look over and see that little Moderator Picture and assume that what your saying MUST be true. Tsk Tsk. What's next telling newbs that there blinker fluid is low and that they need more rice in them? :lol:

87RedAccord
07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
so anyone have a clue why the neons are turning off when lights turn on. its at the exact time i turn them on.. not like whenever..