PDA

View Full Version : a/c conversion to 134?

oldsub86
07-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Anyone done a conversion from the old R12 to 134? Our 88 still has a bit of freon as it is trying to cool. I got one of the kits with the adapters, hose with a guage and 3 cans of freon, oil mix. Is there anything else that we should change? Can we add the new stuff without in some manner evacuating the old? The simple instructions seem to indicate that you can but that does not sound like the usual procedure. If we have to evacuate the system, anyone come up with a Rube Goldberg version of a vacuum pump to suck out an a/c system?

Scorpion88LX
07-27-2004, 08:45 PM
r12 systems were not built to support the new r132 because it wasnt the standard, you shouldnt mix them or empty your r12 without a professional, the seals and exchangers were not ment for r132. freon is dangerous for the atmosphere because it takes an oxygen from ozone or O3 so please dont empty it with out a professional.

ACE_14
07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
its gonna be hard to find and expensive, but try and find someone w/ some r12, because it lasts longer and blows colder air than the 134. at least thats what the at Pepboys said.

nswst8
07-27-2004, 11:34 PM
This has been discussed in detail with all the information that you need to do the conversion. With the average cost of R-12 being $35-$75 per lb without the cost of repairing the system your best bet is to convert.

shepherd79
07-28-2004, 04:16 AM
to convert to R134 you really need to vacuum the R12 out of the system.
take it to a pros. they will know what do to.
IMO, R12 is better when it comes to cooling. i would pay $75 anyday to fill in my system.

nswst8
07-28-2004, 05:12 AM
The cost ratio to R-12 is not worth it.
I don't believe that these guys have the cashola it will take to reseal the system, you see with R-12 the system must be completly sealed to stringent specs because of the EPA so unless you are going to do the work yourself these guys would be better to switch.
I've been running on a converted system since 97 and I did it the shadetree way.
Don't ask me to explain it again go to my member name and find my posts.
Do the conversion :rockon:
Vinny has used R-12 but he also does his own work and has a direct line to R-12.

Vinny
07-28-2004, 05:26 AM
To be honest the conversion to 134A can be almost as cold as 12, for the most part. I believe the difference in temps is about 5 degrees with a good flow of air over the condensor. I have 12 in the hatch and 134 in the sedan. Keep in mind the 12 will get colder faster but once you get up and moving they are close to the same in feel.

The conversion isnt too bad. I do recommend you have your system flushed and vacuumed before you convert over. Especially since you may still have some 12 in there. If nothing else then for the simple fact that the money you pay for a flush and vaccum will more than pay for itself if you have a leak in the system, which it sounds like you may. The shadetree route like Phil said above will work for most people, there are those cases where it goes bad, mostly because of hydrolock as some people call it. Thats caused by having to much oil in the system, it doesnt allow the freon to circulate like it should, thuis preventing cooling. Thats due in part to the conversion kits having more freon in them than what is needed for the car.

Choice is up to you as to how you go about fixing it. Its just always nice to be able to make an educated decision rather than one based on myths or speculations.

nswst8
07-28-2004, 07:00 AM
:rockon: Vinny.