PDA

View Full Version : H22 Possibly Easy?

B16 ED9
07-27-2004, 10:24 PM
well i was readin on honda-tech and found something very very interesting. the main problem people have had with swapping in h22 engines is the huge tranny. well check out what this guy did to his crx

for lazy people, he took and h22, put a b-series tranny on there, to do that he made an adapter plate, which i think he said he might sell a few if he had interest. "what about the engine mounts?" you say, he just used b-series swap mounts. and since place racing makes mounts for b-series into accords, you could probably use them. other than that, for the crx he used a 90-93 accord midshaft and 90-93 integra axles. well you'd probably understand better if you read the topic. i could possibly see this working in an 3g accord, might need different axles, might not, would be a good project for someone to try

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=933963

btw, if this is a :repost: sorry, i searched, but there was just too many topics about h22's to look through :ugh: :lol:

SteveDX89
07-28-2004, 02:15 AM
$550 for that plate. Ouch.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Enven that way its not gonna be "easy". Good info though.

shepherd79
07-28-2004, 04:33 AM
hmmm, $550 for the plate is a lot i have to agree on that one.
about the cost of the swap. it will reduce the price by a lot since you can use B seires mounts.
axels may be the only problem, but if you can take dimensions you can get it to work.

SteveDX89
07-28-2004, 06:16 AM
We won't ever know until someone trys it. I think if the B-series and H-series use the same mounts, there would be no need for companies to make both kinds. There has to be a difference somewhere.

B16 ED9
07-28-2004, 07:43 AM
well, the guy said that the main problem with the h22 swap in a crx was the size of the tranny, using the stock h22 tranny there would be a lot of cutting involved to get it to fit. but with the b-series trannies considerably smaller that solves a lot of size issues. i'm willing to bet that with a b-series tranny, and h22 would fit in an accords engine bay pretty well.

after reading that guys thread, i've been thinking of doing that swap to my rex, and then after posting here, i've been thinking of doing it to a 3g, but we'll see.

Gregg86DX
07-28-2004, 08:00 AM
It would be interesting to use the same concept on the B20A. i.e. adapt a common B series tranny or even the A20 tranny to the B20A. This would make it a lot more viable swap, since there seem to be a lot of B20A's with autos floating around.

Gregg

k-roy
07-28-2004, 03:37 PM
H22 < B22 :rice:

Oyvind Ryeng
07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
I just don't get peoples obsession with the H22's. Granted, it has a larger displacement than the avarage B-series and tons of horsepower and torque in it's standard form, but there are some very nasty cons against it, first and foremost the FRM sleeves. They will get destroyed when using a forged piston, no matter the piston-wall clearance. I don't know what the cost of resleeving a H22 is, but I know it's doable (but the closed-deck ones - I have no idea).

I say, if you wanna swap in an engine with huge potential, get the B20B/Z from the CRV. Fit the B16A/B18C head, get it sleeved, top it off with rods and pistons. 600WHP is very possible with a longblock like this. Do you really need more power than that? Also, the mounts for the CA5 are available. Obviously the sexy mechanical Torsen differential is an option with these transmissions.

If I were to throw away the A20A (I won't!) I'd get the CRVTEC in a heartbeat. The potential of that engine is limitless.

SteveDX89
07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
I agree with you K-roy.

Oyvind, the potential is limitless with all the B-series engines, not just a CR-VTEC.

Oyvind Ryeng
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Oyvind, the potential is limitless with all the B-series engines, not just a CR-VTEC.
True. But I like the extra displacement from the CRVTEC.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 05:02 PM
:rice: I would perfer a Vtec Block personally. There are subtle but important differances. Like a knock sensor and large ass piston oil sprayers to reduce detonation. Displacement can always be changed, especially since you are talking about resleeving. Rods, crankshaft, pistons, sleeves, all those things formulate into the final displacement. The best thing about CRVtec is the price.

B16 ED9
07-28-2004, 08:11 PM
i dont have an obsession wit hthe h22, its just that i always see these h22 threads on this board, and thought i'd try to bring a little light to the people who would want to go that road.

btw, did you read that the guy ran 12.52 with no mods done to the motor. ya, there are more possibilities with b-series engines, but probably for the price of the crvtec you could have an h22 in there. dont get me wrong, i love all vtec engines (and some non-vtec ;) )

B16 ED9
07-29-2004, 03:18 PM
well guys, i did some measuring and comparing to see how much room difference there is between a crx engine bay and an accord engine bay. well the accord engine bay is bigger. from firewall to radiator, the accords is longer, from strut tower mount to strut tower mount, accord is wider, from rear fender bolt on one side, to front fender bolt on other side, the accord is bigger, from middle of fender one side to the other its longer. so over all, the engine bay of an accord is bigger than a crx. all the measurements i took, the accords lenghts were bigger by 1" up to 3".

so fitting an h22 in wouldnt be a problem with a b-series tranny

if you're looking for exact numbers, i'll have to get them tomorrow

shepherd79
07-29-2004, 04:28 PM
i don't know. Steve and I droped B16 into his coupe and it wad tight fit, and i mean tight.

Vanilla Sky
07-29-2004, 04:47 PM
of couse, the a20 engines are pretty tight fits, too... i think i'd have to have an h22 sitting for me to measure before i go either way with this...

SteveDX89
07-29-2004, 04:52 PM
i don't know. Steve and I droped B16 into his coupe and it wad tight fit, and i mean tight.

It was tight because we couldn't unbolt the side mount from the frame. When that's not there, it goes in much easier.

B16 ED9
07-29-2004, 07:11 PM
well i'm sure if you cleared out like the PS and AC and even cruise control if you have it, you'd have plenty of room. i for one, would be willing to sacrifice that stuff, but i know a lot of people wouldnt.