PDA

View Full Version : yeah its still the elctrical.

Bigmaxxin
07-27-2004, 11:25 PM
ok guys. first of all let it be known, that i am so pissed off right now. now that is out of the way, my problem. ok my electrical is really messed up, if i have my headlights on (which are really dim) and i press the brakes, the engine will die. but, if i rev it to 4k then it works fine, so i checked the altenator, and the bolt on the top of the altenator was really loose, so i decided to tighten that, so i do that and it sparks, and the car wouldnt start anymore, is wouldnt even do any diagnostics or anything. it wont click or anything just dead. so i take out the altenator have it checked, and its good. did i blow fuses? would the bolt being loose cause it to act like that? and all other questions as to why my car is so screwed up.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Yea it would be a good idea to check the fuses.
You may need new battery cables, I just had to replace mine.

shepherd79
07-28-2004, 04:05 AM
check the main fuse. it in under the hood.
it is 70 amp one.

thegreatdane
07-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Yea sounds like a fuse when you say it made sparks. You must have shorted it.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-28-2004, 07:24 AM
This is exactly why you should remove the negative terminal (at least) from the battery when messing with electrical. The bolt you are talking about is notorious for causing problems either because the connector rusts off, or it comes loose. My $.02

Bigmaxxin
07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
k-roy, i actually replaced my battery cable, i made it out of some 4gauge power cable. and i am going to go check the fuses, nad ill keep you posted. but do you think that the altenator having that loose connection would cause the problem of not being able to have my headlights on, and press my brakes at the same time?

k-roy
07-28-2004, 03:34 PM
OMG that reminds me of what happened a while back. My dad's alternator dies, so I replace it without disconnecting the battery first. I know better but 30 hours and a lot of weed must have impaired my judgement. It blew the fuse, yea. It starts up fine with no Alt light. My dad leavs for an hour trip and calls 8 minutes down the road saying his alt light came on. So I go up there, screw with it and decide to drive it back really fast. He was in my grandmothers car, so his ass got smoked on the trip back to the house. In his worried state of "where's my car" he gets nabbed doin 40 in a 25 by USAF Security Police.
After another hour I found the problem, fixed it and he was on his way.

Lesson is, always check the fackin main fuse when you make sparks like that.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
but do you think that the altenator having that loose connection would cause the problem of not being able to have my headlights on, and press my brakes at the same time?

Yes it can. Any loose connection may cause a problem. When the engine is on, the alternator provides for almost all the electrical needs of the car. With a loose connection like that, the alternator would not efficiently transfer the current to the car's electrical systems, resulting in a serious drop in voltage. Which is why you would have trouble with headlights(big power consumers) and brake lights which are also quiet power hungry. My $.02

Bigmaxxin
07-28-2004, 06:58 PM
ok guys, i replaced that fuse, now the car starts but i still experience the same problem to an extent. now here is what i have found today. first of all i have been having problems with my throttle cable, with it getting super hot and melting the rubber grommet. so i thought why would it be so hot, and i found out that if i remove that cable the car wont start, and also this is the really wierd part, if i press my brake pedal the relay on the fuse box (the one inside the car) clicks. then if i turn on my hazards, it like screetches, really loudly. so i have spent most of the envening removing my dash, and also found out why my speedo cable isnt working (turns out it wasnt plugged in. but i have no idea about what to make of this, will replacing the relay fix it, or is my ground from the valve cover to the body bad?

edit: i should also add, when i say to an extent, the problem is not as bad, the lights are brighter, but still not to where they should be etc. also before i removed the throttle cable whenever i presed the brakes, the "idiot" lights would dimly light, and the temp gauge would go up. after removal, they are constantly dim, and the temp gauge is pegged at h, no matter if the key is in or not.

HondaBoy
07-28-2004, 08:29 PM
its worth a try i guess, how about replacing some of the main ground wires found in the engine bay? dont know if that would help but like i said its worth a try. i'm going to be replacing some of mine just for good measure. the cars is almost 18 years old, so its good to replace those kind of things just the same.

Bigmaxxin
07-28-2004, 10:50 PM
i replaced the wire from my valve cover to the body, and i also replaced the neg batt. cable. the only thing is i didnt use a oem replacement, i made my own out of 4gauge basically amp power wires. i dont know if where i grounded the batt to is a good place, basically i sanded the front engine mount, and that is my only batt. ground. should i go get oem replacement ground wires? what other ground wires are there that i should replace?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-29-2004, 12:06 PM
I think the battery grounds to the transmission. Visit hondaautomotiveparts.com and look in their catalog. They should list the ground wires along with illustrations. It sure sounds like you have a ground problem.

XJRiggs
07-30-2004, 02:00 AM
I also believe you have a ground problem. One way to quickly find out is take one end of a good pair of jumper cables and clamp it onto the negative terminal. Then take the other end and clam it onto the Altanator bracket or case and see if you still have your problem. If this solves the problem your battery to engine ground is bad. If you still have the problem unclamp the end form the Altanator and clamp it onto the body of the car - making sure you are clamped on real good. If this solves your problem then the ground from the engine to the body is bad.

Bigmaxxin
07-30-2004, 02:59 AM
ok guys it is finally fixed. i went to a junk yard, looked at where the stock grouns go, changed mine to those, and replaced that relay. all is fixed now. i just need a new throttle cable and i will be in buisness! thank you guys for your help for everything from the tranny swap, to this month long electrical problem.truly i couldnt have done it without all the help i recieved here.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Glad we could be of service :D