PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild

steve-024
07-27-2004, 11:51 PM
hey im curious as to whatis done when an engine is rebuilt and bored out ? can some guys help me on this one

SteveDX89
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
The main thing that's replaced is the pistons, rings, all the bearings, and all the gaskets. The gaskets are for the whole engine and the rest is for the block.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Boring is the process of enlargening the cylinder size by a tiny bit to get the sides perfectly smoothe. Then you need to hone the cylinders, its basically a pattern engraved on the sides of the cylinder walls.

After this larger pistons are needed, new piston rings, new bearings for the connecting rods and crank, thrust washers for the crank, and a plethera of seals and gaskets. You can get a total rebuild kit with everything you need for around $400. When rebuilding an engine its a great idea to strip the block and have it "hot tanked". Thats basically soaking the block in boiling cleaner to get it nice and clean. A machine shop will charge around $500 for hot tanking, bore&hone and assembly. Thatas on top of any labor charges to actually remove, tear down and then install the engine. Good luck, its definitly not cheap.

steve-024
07-28-2004, 11:08 AM
haha no i know its going to cost me around 2500 cdn but then again its pretty much a brand new engine in my car