PDA

View Full Version : Bumper removal

Jdub07
07-22-2002, 01:06 PM
I was at the yard yesterday and came across a rear bumper just like mine but in wonderful condition. I couldn't figure out how to get it all the way off. Can someone tell me how to pull it off. I got the side screws our and there was like 4 or 5 nuts under the bumper but it is still bolted on the frame somehow? Pictures would be more than welcome.

AZmike
07-22-2002, 05:54 PM
My 89 factory manual shows that the rear bumper is held by 2 bolts on each side. They go through brackets that extend into the frame about a foot inward from each side. The screws near the rear fenders hold clips that keep the front of the bumper in place. You probably don't need to remove them, but it can't hurt. Under the rear of the car you'll see a row of three bolts on each side. Only the two groups of two bolts toward the rear actually hold the bumper (4 total).

Sorry, I don't have a scanner or camera. I hope this helps.

Jdub07
07-23-2002, 08:30 AM
Yeah that helps some. I guess the bolts I was missing are the ones that are located about a foot inside...does it show how to access those bolts? I didn't see a way in there without bending the bumper to shit. Yet I didn't crawl under the rear...does it look like I would have to get under there to get to the bolts?

AZmike
07-23-2002, 08:55 AM
It shows the bolts exposed. Yes, it does look like you'll need to go under. Hopefully once you're down there you'll spot them.

snapper
07-23-2002, 09:10 AM
You can download the exact instructions for doing it from Paul's site. Here's the link:
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/body.zip
It's a big download. I can email you the two bumper pages if you like. There's almost 1mb together. PM me with you email if you want them. 89LXi4dr is right though, it's only two bolts.

Jdub07
07-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by snapper
You can download the exact instructions for doing it from Paul's site. Here's the link:
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/body.zip
It's a big download. I can email you the two bumper pages if you like. There's almost 1mb together. PM me with you email if you want them. 89LXi4dr is right though, it's only two bolts.

VERY LARGE download...i'm on a t1 and its takeing days...if you don't mind e-mailing me the pages that would be awesome! :D

snapper
07-24-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Jdub07

VERY LARGE download...i'm on a t1 and its takeing days...if you don't mind e-mailing me the pages that would be awesome! :D

PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Shawn