PDA

View Full Version : $2500 in bank to fix up my 89 lxi Accord

Accord-Restoration
07-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone on the board. I have 2500 dollars in my bank account right now and I am in need of a new car. I have my 89 Honda Accord Lxi that has been sitting for 1 year in our driveway with a cracked engine, but has a perfect body. Instead of putting down my money for a car loan, I would rather fix up my old car and not have to deal with car payments. I know that the 89 Honda Accord is a very good car when it is in good running condition. The reason that my 89 Accord has a cracked engine is due to bad radiator hoses and a messed up water pump that ended the engines life. I have taken out the engine before and I know how to do all of the work myself so my real question is what type of prices am I looking at paying for these parts? I would really like to hear from a lot of you guys on what you have paid for some of these parts so I can get an idea of what my costs will be.

A20A3 With under 100K
87 Honda Prelude Si Tranny with under 100k
Gaskets
Belts
Water Pump
Ac Hoses that are missing from firewall to Ac Unit
Power Steering Hoses that are missing from firewall to PS unit
Dc Sports Headers
Custom Cold Air Intake
Starter
Test Pipe and a good deep sounding exhaust
Brakes
Right Axle
Wire Harness
Radiator and backup Radiator

I have all new parts from my previous engine swap that include:
Act Stage II racing clutch
New Fuel Pump
New Alternator
New Battery
New Radiator Hoses (Tad Too Late)
New Left Axle

accordlxi2.0
07-28-2004, 07:12 PM
shit with that kinda of money i would get a prelude or integra dohc 16 valve engine, and drop it in there.

k-roy
07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Engine and Tranny ~ $500
Gaskets ~ $200
Belts and Hoses ~ $100
WAter Pump $26 (check my Howto)
AC Hoses? I don't have that
PS Hoses? Don't got that either
DC Sports HEADER, not HEADERS, there is only one. $300-400 if you can find one.
CAI $80 off eBay, do a search
Starter, I dunno, less than $100
Test Pipe, A guy on eBay makes them. He is from Dayton and charges $30
Brakes, I got new front pads and rotors for about $100 for the top shelf stuff from Autozone
you can get a pair of rebuilt calipers for around $200, rear brakes should be under 100 w/ new drums
Axles, $75 after core return
Wire harness??? Dunno witch one you need, go to a junkyard
Radiator $100 for a decent aluminum one
Radiator overflow, junkyard is cheap

Those are just rough estimates, some may be a little low or high but I think most people will agree with me. You should check around your local junkyards if you are into saving money. With that much cash you should be able to get a decent set of rims, tires and a stereo as well. One more thing, I highly reccomend an Aftermarket coil if you are going to be increasing airflow.

ivanfbi
07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
i would go with b20a, with those finances, but it is totally up to you..

k-roy
07-28-2004, 07:47 PM
B20B/Z > B20A
CAn you say VEEETECH?

Accord-Restoration
07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
with 2500 I could put in a B20a engine that has 160hp/140 trq into my car?

Its just that I have a new alternator, new fuel pump and a new left axle that I dont think will work with that engine.

I dont think that I could get the b20a swap done and get my power steering, A/C, brakes, and my right axle fixed for 2500. If i was to put that engine into my car I would like to just get a performance clutch in it and all of the gaskets, water pump, belts, ecu, wire harness, mounts, header and everything in almost new condition on the motor.

What kind of performance does the B20a motor with 160hp/140 trq give to the 89 honda accord in the engines stock form?