PDA

View Full Version : Question about fan (different problem)

AQcz
07-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Accord Coupe 88 LXi EFI

I searched a lot of threads and found people asking about their fan staying on for up to 15 mins after driving the car (so obviously the engine should be hot if it was driven for a while). I know this is normal.

I didn't find a situation like mine. Here's the deal:

It's happened before, but I'll use this morning as an example.

Around 7:45AM I go out to check my car. It's about 70 degrees, not really humid. Car has been sitting all night so it's cold.

I get in, turn the car to the #2 position and turn it back off. Fan comes on and runs for 15 minutes. Doesn't make sense to me. Car is cold, why should it need to cool down.
----------------------

Fan also runs for 15 minutes when car is hot, but that should be normal. Fan always runs for 15 min no matter what though. Never less.

----------------------

I had the electrical checked yesterday. Something is killing my battery when the car is left sitting. That should be fixed, if not I'll be back in there but I want to know abou the fan. That doesn't seem right.

accordlxi2.0
07-30-2004, 05:35 AM
either the cooling fan ecu has went loopy, or well your check engine light is'nt on or is it??
does it come on at the normal tempurature range when the engine running?

AQcz
07-30-2004, 06:10 AM
Check engine light never comes on

Fan comes on sometimes when engine is running. Temp never goes above about halfway

Thanks

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Could be a couple of things, the fan sensor B, or the fan timer under the pass. seat. Could be the sensor, mounted on the t/s housing next to the ect sensor, or wires leading to it are shorted closed. Try unplugging it, on mine it's a green connecter, and try your cold start on and off. If the fan doesn't run it's the sensor, if it does, check for shorted wires or the module is bad. most likely the sensor/wiring tho.

AQcz
07-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Fan timer under the seat, I know where that is. box next to the seatbelt sensor.

Fan sensor B, sensor on t/s housing - Don't know where it's at

Information on location or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-30-2004, 04:01 PM
On the thermostat housing, there should be two sensors on top. The sensor closest to the cylinder head is the ect sensor. The fan sensor B is between the ect sensor and the bleed screw. Both sensors are right along the back side of the distributor. Here's a pic of the general location.(only one I could find quickly, sorry.)
Oh another thought, who knows, the fan timer has an unswitched power source from the battery. maybe if it's gone that's your battery drain?:dunno:

AQcz
07-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Ok, thanks for the pics and description. I'm going to go look at that