PDA

View Full Version : Somethings wrong but I don't know what.

MoeShow
07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm currently driving a 1988 Accord Limited it has a carbed engine with about 177 000 KM's Its an auto

Last week when I was driving it on the highway I tried doing a pass while going uphill and the car downshifted and it did not shift again till around 5800 RPM. I found this to be quite wierd as the car doesn't usually do that.

Now the car is acting really wierd. If i'm on a straight road cruising and i punch the gas the car usually downshifts and the rpm's go up. Now it won't even do that. and going uphill it still won't gear down until around 6000 RPm's

So if anybody has any idea what the problem could be...Transmission? timing belt?, Carb? I really am not all that knowledgble in car repair and any help in identifing the problem would be appreciated

k-roy
07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I've never messed with an auto 3G but my guess would be the TV cable. It goes from the tranny to the carb, When you punch the gas it tells the tranny to kick down a gear. It may be streatched or loose.

Try flipping throught he manual to see if you can come up with anything.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

MoeShow
07-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Ok..My buddy is a mechanic so i might get him to check that out..

A20A1
07-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Well it could be the TV or you could be loosing ATF fluid

If it's not downshifting the TV cable coulb be loose.

Best thing to do is make sure the Accelerator cable is adjusted properly first... so it reaches wide open throttle with the pedal to the floor, then go and adjust the TV cable, make it as tight as you can but leave a small amount of play so that you don't restrict the movement of the accelerator cable.