PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Suitability

tozza6
07-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Hi Guys,

I am just about ready for a new clutch and im weighing up my options as to which type to get. Im thinking of a Stage 1 Heavy Duty clutch however im not sure if it would be worth just getting an OEM one. I do a fair bit of city driving and about the same amounts of highway driving but im a bit worried about the Hardness of the Stage 1. My Accord has some minor mods done to it and thats about where it is staying (no turbo etc). Also should i expect much / if any performance gains from the Stage 1 Clutch?

Thanks,
James

SteveDX89
07-30-2004, 07:21 PM
A clutch doesn't increase performance in the way most people think. It does not increase horsepower. A stronger clutch usually has more gripping pressure on the clutch disc to help prevent slipping. I'd say to you since you're not going all out and have minor mods, an OEM clutch will be fine.

AccordEpicenter
07-31-2004, 09:56 AM
unless you have considerable mods (I/H/E at least) a bigger clutch isnt needed. An oem one will be fine. Ive driven many 4 and 6 puck race clutches (sprung hubs usually) and i consider those to be pretty streetable... although some people will disagree due to harsher engagement/chatter/effort.... i dont care

mr eff
07-31-2004, 01:58 PM
even with i/h/e and a reground cam, would you suggest a new clutch? i feel as though my 5 year old OEM clutch catches pretty well. no idea how it would feel with a more performance oriented clutch set up, shrug

chris

Oyvind Ryeng
07-31-2004, 03:17 PM
About clutches, I emailed "Rocket" on Honda-Tech, and he can supply an Action 2KS clutch for the A20A4. This has a firmer pressure plate, and the best of all: a segmented Tribco Kevlar disk.

Quote from Mr. Rocket about the Kevlar-faced disks:

The kevlar lining will literally last forever. I am not exagerating here. We have many customers coming back to fix their clutches but the kevlar lining just needs to be sand blasted after that there's no way to even tell that it's been used. Kevlar is also so easy on the flywheel and pressure plates that you can still see the machining marks on the friction surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plates after years of use.

AccordEpicenter
07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
well the oem clutches are ok but i can feel my oem not grab quite as hard as id like. For example mine refuses to do 2nd gear burnouts... she just slips into oblivion, even tho the motor should have enough power to pull it thru.

AccordAddict
07-31-2004, 08:00 PM
i can only do burnouts in wet areas :( , I have an automatic...!

Oyvind Ryeng
08-01-2004, 04:10 AM
I don't do burnouts. With FWD it's just so pointless... :(

k-roy
08-01-2004, 05:52 AM
If you want a decent clutch for a decent price check out Centerforce. I've driven a couple and I like them a lot.

AccordEpicenter
08-01-2004, 08:55 AM
well i dont do one legged burnouts so its not completely stupid

Oyvind Ryeng
08-01-2004, 09:06 AM
"One legged burnout"? Care to elaborate?

k-roy
08-01-2004, 09:19 AM
"One legged burnout"? Care to elaborate?
Cars without a LSD only spin one wheel. Its kinda funny when someone brags about having burnout capabilities, and only one tire spins.

88Accord-DX
08-01-2004, 09:22 AM
I think he means that only one tire is going to "burn" out. Because front wheel drive is not positive traction on both tires. Only one tire will spin harder than the other.

Elijah
08-01-2004, 11:14 AM
centreforce clutch sucks.

AccordEpicenter
08-01-2004, 03:45 PM
yeah ive always gotten both tires to spin when burning out... never just one, with the 88 lxi that is, even tho its an open diff. When turning a corner and then getting on it again itll always lite up the inside tire... thats ghey

SteveDX89
08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Stage 1 clutches are pretty nice. I've got one in my car and haven't had it slip yet. I've only launched from 3K once but it's never slipped and when I'm running through the gears aggressively it's never slipped. It's an ACT, BTW. I don't know if they make them for the A20.

AccordEpicenter
08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah they do.... ACTs are better than centerforce. Ive abused my stock replacement clutch (exedy daikin) and it has slipped on me before, if im gonna burnout i have to start it at 4500 ish and then take it to redline or for some reason it just wont grab consistently (prolly due to a weak stock type pressure plate) and 2nd gear burnouts forget it, even with all that abuse its still fine and ive put about 20k miles of SERIOUS abuse from it... ie chirp tires from every stoplight