PDA

View Full Version : need question answered quick, please

racerx
07-30-2004, 08:15 PM
if i am taking the axles out of my tranny, will i need to drain the fluid? (i know it must be a stupid question, but i've never done it before)
thanks

A20A1
07-30-2004, 11:27 PM
I drained my fluid when I removed my motor, but there was no sign of ATF on the ??spindle?? part of the axle... just grease.

Just to be safe though drain the fluid.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-31-2004, 06:32 AM
On manual transmissions, you have to drain the oil. If you don't, it'll come out when you pull the axles.

P.S.: Sorry if this doesn't apply to your transmission, since you didn't specify which tranny you have. :D

AccordEpicenter
07-31-2004, 09:48 AM
just pull them... rarely do they leak and if they do it wont be alot

racerx
07-31-2004, 10:01 AM
ok. well, everything is ready for pulling, but i'm not sure how...
do i just try to pull on the axle with my hand? or pry it somehow? it doesnt look like there's anything to pry though...

(this is on a 91 prelude Si, 5 speed, btw)

Raduque
07-31-2004, 01:47 PM
You should be able to pop them out using a large flathead screwdriver. Just stick it between the transmission and the axle, and pry it away from the trans. It took quit a bit of effort to pop out the passenger side on my car, but the driver's side came out very easy.

thegreatdane
07-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Yes you have to drain the transmission fluid if you dont want it all over your self when you take out the axles.. If what you pry with is quite solid, it will ease the removal.

SteveDX89
07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
I usually use a crowbar to pop them out. Sometimes long screwdriver flex too much and you can't apply as much pressure. Just stick the flat between the axle and tranny and push away from the axle (if you taking the driver axle out, push the end of the crow bar toward the pass. side and vice versa)