PDA

View Full Version : Ram-air hood? Some ideas...

Nospeed
07-31-2004, 08:34 AM
ok, so i'm toying with the idea of fabricating some kind of airbox and a ram-air hood. my idea is to make a steel box where the existing filter/box is, leaving the top open; placing a filter inside the box; covering the top of the box with some kind of rubber; cutting a hole in the hood; then covering the hole with a hood scoupe(sp?). i know that can be done no problem, but a few questions...

1. how do i keep the rain/water from going down the intake...

2. would i need to adjust fuel to compensate for all the air im forcing into the engine? if yes, how would i go about doing this...bigger injectors, bigger fuel rail???

i've been thinking about it for a while, and i figured i would ask someone that actually knows the answers to this... :sadwave:

FoX
07-31-2004, 08:46 AM
You would never get enough air in that way to have to worry about bigger injectors. The other problem I ran into doing the same thing was, if you place the scoop in the wrong place it actually worsens the ability to get air, and the engine has to suck it down like out of a straw or something.

AccordAddict
07-31-2004, 08:21 PM
there's a couple guys on here that have fabricated hood scoops on here. ae you running a carbed or EFI engine???

88accordhb
07-31-2004, 09:08 PM
that would obviously be fuel injection. hood scoops are cool! haha

AccordAddict
07-31-2004, 09:22 PM
and they're expensive. saw some at pep boys, $66 EACH!

slowazz86carb
07-31-2004, 09:58 PM
expensive.but nice.

88accordhb
08-01-2004, 07:14 AM
nice but cool. uhhh. hehe

those damn hood scoops at pepboys are rip off dude. little plastic things for like 70 dollars.

Nospeed
08-01-2004, 09:55 AM
its efi...im planning on making my own out of sheet metal...no plastic crap...um yeah...so no real answers...mmmmmmkay.

modu03
08-01-2004, 02:40 PM
just get a wrx scoop... and route the filter underneath it by the firewall...

that would probably get you the best ram air effect. I am planning on doing this with my car in the future

here's the perfect scoop http://www.fastwrx.com/stihosc2.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1804_2273720

pricy, but will definitely force alot of air into your intake

A20A1
08-01-2004, 06:04 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=36315

See my how to?
No need to follow the measurements, main thing is to know how to cut and fold...

I would like to make another scoop maybe with 3.5" sides so I can still have the angle to the sides and still get the 3" height... also on my hood placement... the mouth is a little too far forward on the pic my new one will be 3"-4" further back.

I've had many scoops and the one in my diagram is about the easiest to make and still looks good... imo

A20A1
08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Here is the way to stop water and not choke off a sealed air box...
the diagram and instructions are simple the idea is simple so you really don't need much, figure out how to make it using what you have laying around, I left a few missing instructions but they are pretty self explanitory like setting up the manual choke puller / lever and where to place the pivot for the choke plate...

anyways
Build a box around the filter but make the hole in the hood about 1" longer on the front side... this will give you a fairly big air gap depending on the width of the scoop for the motor to suck in engine compartment air when the plate is closed.
When the plate is open it will cover the gap.
In front of the plate you drill a few drain holes.

also drill a hole in the box just in case a little water makes it past the plate...

I had the idea of using the diaphragm off a carb intake and adding a small on/off valve to give the diaphragm vacuum with a flip of the switch.. to controll the opening of the plate much like how the hot air door is controlled. of course you would need a vacuum bleed as well... but it should elliminate the need for hooking up and routing the choke wire... I don't have the carb diaphragm any longer though...

88accordhb
08-01-2004, 07:02 PM
mike's the man

AccordAddict
08-01-2004, 07:49 PM
or just get a bypass filter on your intake tube.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-02-2004, 06:09 AM
i personally hate the WRX scoops for some reason. i dont know why, guess its a tast thing?

unc25
08-02-2004, 07:48 AM
ok so wait...I was thinking about putting a scoop on my hood but I am unsure of how to keep the water out. Mike has that scoop but I'm not sure how he doesnt have any problems with it when it rains.....

Could somone direct mike here..Or A20A1 why dont you have any problems with yours since your weber filter sits right where the scoop opens up....?

88_hatch
08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm trying to decide if i should do this or a CAI.

i wanted to make/buy a scoop, but i think the problem would be fiting a pipe to make a vacuum over the hole cut in the hood.

maybe you could keep the stock pipes in place and set up a switch system to go from scoop to stock, such as a plate that moves over the hole of the pipes to turn them off (I'm thinking like the principle that changes your heater settings airflow). that way, if it rains you can just drive stock, and have a complete vacuum when you want to open her up.

I've been giving it some serious thought.

How much does it help anyway? as compared to me making a cold air intake for 40ish bucks.

netfreak
08-03-2004, 12:13 AM
heres my howto on my scoop

http://car.preterhuman.net/project_scoop/

Robs89LXi
08-03-2004, 03:06 AM
How about puting the scoop near, but not right on top of the airbox? By doing this, you could run a short length of intake tubing from the scoop to the airbox. You could then include a bypass valve in that short run so that water would not be a problem.

smufguy
08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
OKay i might be a little late to this, but here is the answer for you.

IF this car is a daily driver, then u need to take into a consideration of everything, as in rain, dew, and mainly snow. having a functional scoop is not only cool, its kinda unique to have one that acrually does something.

Best thing to look and learn is the early muscle cars with ram air scoops. They did not have fancy bypass for the water to go and get dropped in the runners like the Last gen Ram Air Firebird or the still running Grand AM.

THe point being, the scoop drops right over the air filter in these cars. The way they do it is have a huge circular air filter with a metal cover on top but is open on the side as you know, so the only place u see the filter element is on the sides and top is closed (locked) by a metal cover.

You need to have the scoop that ur making to drop over the air box cover on our car and the side cut out, but do know that the top cover has to be the exact size (diameter of the filter) or a tad bit bigger. This way u can have the water that enters the scoop drop on the cover and go behind the filter rather than inside, also using the stock filter for the carb would be a better idea cause its much bigger than the carb opening.

Also, you need to have a fine mesh cover on the scoop to prevent the debris like small rocks, ice, dirt, bugs and splash of water from entering ur scoop. THe best mesh we have tested (on our SAE car) was the window screen. It allows for maximum air flow without any restirction due to their small material diameter and also strong enough to catch any fyling debris at a speed of 70mph.

So yeah, look at some pics of the old Domestics with the scoops and find out how they are actually constructed and ask/talk to the guy who owns it and what time of the year he actually drives it.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-04-2004, 08:15 AM
heres another Thread (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34682&page=1&pp=20&highlight=RAM+AIR) on this subject. just FYI :D

smufguy
08-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Oh also I forgot to add this in my past reply, but i know i mentioned this in another "Ram air Thread". To fully utelize the ram air set up, u need to run a different valve timing at high rpm, as in use LIVC (Late Intake Valve Closing). THis is an engine phenomenon thats used by the V-tec motors with the aggressive lobe that has the intake valve opened for a longer period of time at high rpm even tho they dont use ram air stuff.

Nospeed
08-04-2004, 12:08 PM
this is great stuff guys....i really appreciate it. smufguy, can you possibly draw out some kind of diagram? i kinda see what you're saying, but not quite...

smufguy
08-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Under Hood stuff
http://www.boss351registry.com/CAR-IM~1/Misc/Non-Engine-Part%20Pictures/71RAM.JPG

Air box, sealed

http://www.boss351registry.com/CAR-IM~1/Misc/Non-Engine-Part%20Pictures/Ram-Air-3.jpg