PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket distributer

geesnow
08-01-2004, 07:00 AM
are there any aftermarket distrbuters for the 3gee's?

:rice:

k-roy
08-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Nope.
You might me able to get a better one off another Honda. What do you have, dx, lx, lxi?

Oyvind Ryeng
08-01-2004, 07:05 AM
I'd like to know also, as mine is in need of a replacement, and the dealership wants USD$1000 (a thousand Dollars) for a complete new one.

geesnow
08-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Nope.
You might me able to get a better one off another Honda. What do you have, dx, lx, lxi?

i have an lxi

k-roy
08-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Then your answer is no.
If you had an LX or a DX with a carb you could be like me and get a distributor off an A18 Prelude.

Hey Oyvind I'll take a look this week when Im at the yard to see if I can get you one for a much much better price. You can get rebuilt ones here in the US for under $200.

Oyvind Ryeng
08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
THey Oyvind I'll take a look this week when Im at the yard to see if I can get you one for a much much better price. You can get rebuilt ones here in the US for under $200.
Thank you for your generous offer, but when my distibutor finally shuts completly down I'll rip it out and install a 4-coil, Distributorless Ignition System. No moving parts = Infinite reliability.

geesnow
08-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Thank you for your generous offer, but when my distibutor finally shuts completly down I'll rip it out and install a 4-coil, Distributorless Ignition System. No moving parts = Infinite reliability.

is that very hard? have you done it before? id like to know how it goes.

Accordtheory
08-01-2004, 12:18 PM
why don't you just buy one off ebay? You can probably get it for about $50. I bought my distributor that I sent to sean, my radiator, my cooling fan, my fuel pump, my intake manifold, my throttle body, etc and saved a LOT of money

Accordtheory
08-01-2004, 12:20 PM
DIS is not infinite reliabilty either..my friend pushed his turbo saab across town (with another car) after the coil pack randomly toasted itself

Oyvind Ryeng
08-01-2004, 02:33 PM
I still say that a DIS system is more reliable than a distributor rotating @ 99,999 RPM, where one has bearings and stuff that has to be in balance, and not to mention the crappy igniters that also are well known to crap out.

I have never installed a DIS-system, never even seen one in real life, but I am blessed with a good brain that I like to use to solve problems and think of solutions to any kind of dilemma. I am confident that I can get my 3G running DIS with minimal problems. Complete systems are redily available from Autronic, Haltech, MoTeC, and possibly AEM and maybe MSD themselves. Most of these systems have triggering that can be made to work with any kind of engine.

AccordEpicenter
08-01-2004, 03:47 PM
idk ive seen crank trigger ignition systems fail same as with distributor based systems... ususally when the hall effect sensor goes bad or somthing...

Accordtheory
08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
I wish I was blessed with a good brain...

Robs89LXi
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Psshhaaaww!! I think brains are highly overated anyway.

smufguy
08-04-2004, 07:32 PM
magneto pick ups are good and even crank trigger have proven itself time and time again. Not many on the street, but tons at the track. A little expensive, but u get what u paid for and more.

But installing a DIS is not that easy as an amature bolt on. U need to get the right parts, right adjustment and the right firing order as in the timing needs to be set right.