PDA

View Full Version : Wont start sometimes

sfcmikej
08-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey everyone

I have an 86 Accord Lxi. I am having a starting problem that I can't pin down. Most of the time the car starts fine. Occasionally it will almost start but not quite, it fires but then stops. After that it will not start for at least an hour and when you crank it it does not seem to even attempt to fire up. It just cranks. If you let it sit for a while then it will start but the time frame is not consistent. I checked the computer but there was no flashing light to tell me what code to look up. Any ideas?

Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
08-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Get a fuel pressure gauge on there and check that b/c I'm thinking that's the problem. (Fuel Pump)

k-roy
08-01-2004, 09:39 AM
The first thing to come to my mind is the fuel filter and the Distributor cap&rotor. Try replacing those.

Xtracktor
08-02-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm having same problem, usually happens when I fill up gas, could it be the Main Relay, I just got my fuel pump replaced.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-02-2004, 04:02 AM
If you're having problems on a restart, with a warm fuel injected engine, a very common problem is an ECT sensor going bad. It won't give a code #6 on the ecu unless the sensor opens or shorts completely, it just gives an incorrect voltage output to the ecu, hence causing starting problems.
Main relays usually causes problems even with a "cold" engine, but with hot outside temps. with the sun warming up the interior. Then a main relay with bad solder joints, doesn't start the fuel pump.

sfcmikej
08-02-2004, 02:03 PM
If you're having problems on a restart, with a warm fuel injected engine, a very common problem is an ECT sensor going bad. It won't give a code #6 on the ecu unless the sensor opens or shorts completely, it just gives an incorrect voltage output to the ecu, hence causing starting problems.
Main relays usually causes problems even with a "cold" engine, but with hot outside temps. with the sun warming up the interior. Then a main relay with bad solder joints, doesn't start the fuel pump.

Hey thanks for the reply. Is the main relay part of the computer under the drivers seat or is it part of the fuses/relays under the hood? Is there a test I can perform to see if it is the relay or do you just replace the darn thing and hope for the best. You and one other suggested the main relay. I do live in Florida and it does get a bit warm on occasion down here. Thanks everyone for the help. By the way the distributer and plug wires were replaced within the last 18 months.

Mike

Luis 89LXi
08-02-2004, 02:24 PM
As they told you, seems a dry joints on Main Relay take a look at the How To: section there's a topic fixing this common problem.

Luis

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. Is the main relay part of the computer under the drivers seat or is it part of the fuses/relays under the hood? Is there a test I can perform to see if it is the relay or do you just replace the darn thing and hope for the best.
Mike
Neither, the main relay main relay is located under the dash, on the drivers side. Remove the coinbox/fuse cover and you'll see it. In this pic of mine, the red thing with the white plug is the bottom of the relay. 10mm head on the bolt securing it, it'll help if you have some extensions to get the racket past the steering column. The foam on the vent duct may be oily/greasy, so you may want to wear gloves and cover the carpet.
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2603&stc=1
Like Luis mentioned, check the howto about resoldering the joints, it might save you some cash and help trouble-shoot the problem. Main Relay Fix (http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/electrical/main-relay/main-relay.htm)
As to testing it... only way I know is to turn the key to the second position, and listen. When you turn the key on, listen for a click from the main relay, and for the fuel pump to run in the gas tank. It should run for two seconds the click off, the same as the check engine light on the dash.
I just replaced mine, before I knew about the dry joint repair. Another member, dbmaster, I think, had good luck spraying electrical contact cleaner cleaner on it till his new one came.
Good luck, hope it solves your problem.

SMaurer32
08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I just did this on Sunday. Pain in my arse. Doesn't take long to take out, but to put it back in is a nightmare. Also, don't lose the bolt! I lost the bolt inside, and so I don't have anything to hold it in place to connect the wire harness. It took me about an hour or so to finally connect it. My hands are big so I cut myself pretty bad on a couple of places. Relay is big, area for it is small, and wires are short. Honda knew what they were doing when they design that. :mad: You can do it, just have the hydrogen peroxide and ice pack ready if you have normal to big hands.

Blue Impact
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Most likely it's the main relay. I just replaced the main relays on the 3G and the G2. Both cars were having that trouble but now they're fine. I got the main relays for free too...from the junkyard. :D