PDA

View Full Version : Battery or Starter?

88EXi
07-22-2002, 05:05 PM
So I went to start today and the thing turned over really slow and woudn't start, like a dead battery. So I popped it and took it home (20 minute drive). I Got home and it started fine and seemed charged but after the second start it was slow again and the lights were dimming on the start. It runs fine and seems to run off the alternator fine. So could the battery not be taking a charge or is the starter going and is using up too much juice?

TeKKnoTeKK
07-22-2002, 05:23 PM
make sure that hte battery cables are tight, I have seen that happen too many times :D

accordlx
07-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Sounds to me like your starter has a weak field. Do the lights and everything still work fine? Does the blower motor sound like it's running at full speed with the car off?

DonnyG
07-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Hmm this kinda sounds like the problem I'm having with my car right now, execpt for the fact the my car won't start. Like it almost turns over but then it won't. Could it just be the starter? The alternator was like a week old when it died and the batery was like 2 months old. but the starter yea well I have no clue how old that is. Please let me know if it is the starter or not.

88EXi
07-23-2002, 03:39 AM
Yeah everything seems to have full power, that is why I think it is the starter. I'll pull it off here in a day or two and have it tested.
I'll let you know.

SQ is the SQUAD
07-23-2002, 05:18 AM
if it turns over its not the starter. it gotta be the battery if it starts but dies and the lights dim

accordlx
07-23-2002, 06:11 PM
I bet a dollar it's the starter if you have full power.

88EXi
07-24-2002, 04:36 AM
Well I did some more checking and found that the lights now dim considerably when I try and start it. so I jumped it and it started just fine. This morning I put on a voltmeter and the bat only had 10 volts. The Alternator is giving 14 so I figure its the battery. I am having it checked today.

88EXi
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Yeah it was the battery. It just up and popped a bad cell. Go figure. Can't wait to see what is next.;)