PDA

View Full Version : Charging System Problem

syphrvirus
08-02-2004, 05:51 AM
I just recently swapped my motor (blew the other one :sad2: ) with a 86 Prelude BT motor. I just used the block. I used original Intake and Pacesetter Header, same wiring harness ect. Bran-New Alternator(tested at autozone and puts out 15 vdc) Belts are definitly tight enough, bran new battery, great ground connections, went through the wiring diagram and tested the wiring, it should work per wiring diagram. Every fuse in the whole car is not blown. I havn't yet had to bring my car to a "mechanic" but i am about to give up. Logically it should work but my charging system will not charge. I hope someone can give me some advice cause i havn't drivin my hatch in 2 months.

Thanks

k-roy
08-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Change your starter. Thats about all I can think of.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-02-2004, 06:55 AM
what exactly is happening? like its starting but not putting out any charge?

syphrvirus
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Yes it starts no problem, bran new starter, it puts out no charge with the voltmeter

86LXItooFAST4me
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
are you possitive the alt is hooker up right? and the belt is in good shape right?

syphrvirus
08-02-2004, 07:05 AM
it only runs off battery, the voltage drops with the more accesories i put on, blower lights ect.

syphrvirus
08-02-2004, 07:09 AM
the belt is tight no prob there, thats what i first thought and looked at, the alternator is hooked up correctly, i checked continuity with the wires off of the harness and they check good, there is only one wire i could no check and thats the black and yellow going to Fuse No.1 in the dash, i can't locate fuse No.1 becasue i don't have the fuse cover/coin box.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
well if your getting some charge it wouldnt be the fuse, im thinkin autozone sucks so try and swap the alt out with anotherone.

syphrvirus
08-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Yes i agree with you that autozone sucks and the people working there don't know a distributor from a relay, but the guy put it on wrong at first and was reading no charge, so i looked at the instructions and realized that he had no idea what he was doin so i told him how to hook it up correctly, now that it was hooked up correctly to the machine the manager came over and double checked it and did its test, it read 15 volts, we did it 5 times, every time it was 15 and strong. I have mechanic contacts also working on the troubleshoot but no luck so far, it is the strangest thing....

I just don't wanna pay for something i could do myself, its just i dont know what it is thats wrong. :dunno:

Mac
08-02-2004, 03:12 PM
You said that you did continuity checks of all the wires. Did you do any voltage checks? I was just looking at the drawing and the way i see it: there should be battery voltage on the big white wire. Disconnect the connector and there should be battery voltage on the white/ green wire. Then with the key on there should be voltage on the black yellow wire in the connector.

1. No voltage on white wire. Pull fuse #21 (70 a) in the under hood fuse/relay panel. Check the fuse again and check that you have voltage on one side of the fuse holder.
2. No voltage on the white/green wire. Pull fuse #8 (10 a) in the under the hood fuse/relay panel, same as above.
3. No voltage on black/yellow wire. Pull fuse #1 (15 a) in the under dash fuse panel. It should be the lower left fuse as you look at it. Same drill.

syphrvirus
08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Well i determined the problem....The main white wire coming of the Alt terminal was broken, now it was a weird break that worked in certain positions and not in others. It is frustrating knowing now it was such an easy fix after going through all that. But o well i learned all about my charging system and now know how to fix any further problems. Now i'm off to fix my axle and clutch..

Thanks for you help guys.