PDA

View Full Version : Runs/cloncks after being shut off??

thegreatdane
08-02-2004, 11:40 AM
I dont know what the english term for this is, but my carbureted engine with only 50.000miles on it does this most of the time when it gets shut off. What can cause this? It's pissing me off.. Damned carb's!

AccordAddict
08-02-2004, 11:52 AM
iheard the octane boosters (dunno if they work for carbed engines) help remove pings and knocks and stuff, thats wat it said on the bottle. see if that works.

k-roy
08-02-2004, 11:57 AM
iheard the octane boosters (dunno if they work for carbed engines) help remove pings and knocks and stuff, thats wat it said on the bottle. see if that works.
Umm, there is no cure in a bottle. :stupid:

Us Yanks call that dieseling. Its caused by one of three things. Too much advance on the timing, a ton of extra carbon built up on the pistons, or (more likely) the carb needs tuned or rebuilt. Check the howto section and read the article on carb tuning and set your timing to factory specs. I doubt its carbon, Honda engines, especially with your mileage, don't tend to get too much carbon buildup by design. IF that does not work try fixing any vacuum leaks or disconnected hoses. As a last resort you might need to rebuild the carbureator.

thegreatdane
08-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Humm, the timing is a little off since i changed the distributor and only adjusted it by eye-sight and hearing. Vacuum leaks has been fixed(had a problem with that causing poor/no idle). The carbs aren't as new as the engine, because i couldnt get the engine to run with the carbs that was on it from the beginning so i changed them (i had to pump the gaspedal to keep it a live). Maybe I should try putting them back on and get the timing adjusted properly. After all it does knock lightly when i floor it at low rpm's.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Umm, there is no cure in a bottle. :stupid:

Us Yanks call that dieseling. Its caused by one of three things. Too much advance on the timing, a ton of extra carbon built up on the pistons, or (more likely) the carb needs tuned or rebuilt. Check the howto section and read the article on carb tuning and set your timing to factory specs. I doubt its carbon, Honda engines, especially with your mileage, don't tend to get too much carbon buildup by design. IF that does not work try fixing any vacuum leaks or disconnected hoses. As a last resort you might need to rebuild the carbureator.

but if his timing has been off, carbon will build up a lot easier. but timing is what it is more than likely like K-roy said. if it does persist after you fix the timing and check for vacuum leaks i recommend a tune up of the ignition. new plugs, cap & rotor, and maybe the wires if they are in bad shape. good luck man! and what do you people call southern americans? hillbillies? :lol: