PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

AZmike
07-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Last time I swaped my spark plugs I noticed that there is a thick layer of grit and oil/grease along the side and a little of the front of my engine block under the distributor. The distributor and valve cover are clean. I haven't had a chance to really clean this mess up yet so I'm not sure where it's coming from. I thought I'd ask here first to see if someone else has had a simlar problem. Right now I'm guessing either the cam seal or the valve cover seal needs to be replaced.

So has anyone seen this before? All suggestions are welcome.

Sidenote: This board is great. I've only been here a few weeks and have already learned so much. I had no idea anyone else cared as much as I do about this older car that most owners see more like an appliance.

A20A1
07-22-2002, 05:43 PM
I would replace both the cam seal and valve cover seal.

AZmike
07-22-2002, 06:01 PM
What do you think each of those would cost? Any idea if Autozone, Napa, etc. would stock any of those? Or is it going to be a 'fun' (expensive) Honda dealer experience.

A20A1
07-22-2002, 06:29 PM
hmm i bought a head rebuild kit for $150... it came with everything.
If you buy them seperate it could cost around $30

AZmike
07-23-2002, 10:31 AM
What does the rebuild kit include besides the seals? Valve guides? Valve oil seals?

89 Accord Se-I
07-25-2002, 04:05 PM
my car actually just got an oil leak today. im going to replace the valve cover seal. im pretty sure thats the problem. because i just degreased that part the other day then all of a sudden it started leaking when the car gets warm. also when the manifold gets hot enough the oil drips on that ans smokes, looks terrible but isnt as bad as it looks. i have the same film below the cover though