PDA

View Full Version : Starter or Something Else?¿

FoX
08-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Recently when starting my car the starter will start to turn the engine then it acts like my compression is to high and stops and or backs up to where it was. I am leaning towards the starter being bad but wanted to get some other owners opinions. I have a brand new battery (A big 1000 amp Battery 950 CCA) Deap cycle. Engine fully modded, high compression.

k-roy
08-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Im gonna say its the starter. If its a big V8 you might want to get a high torque starter. Jegs.com sells them.

FoX
08-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Im gonna say its the starter. If its a big V8 you might want to get a high torque starter. Jegs.com sells them.
No its an a20a3, i don't think i have ever seen anything bigger then a v6 in a 3g

86LXItooFAST4me
08-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Recently when starting my car the starter will start to turn the engine then it acts like my compression is to high and stops and or backs up to where it was. I am leaning towards the starter being bad but wanted to get some other owners opinions. I have a brand new battery (A big 1000 amp Battery 950 CCA) Deap cycle. Engine fully modded, high compression.

i bet you need to tweak your timing, but it sounds like a weak electrical system. yall dont think that bat would be too much for our small starters do yall? you may be burning them up. i dont know since it isnt stock. what is your compression?

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
That sounds like what my old (original) starter was doing, although it never actually stopped, it just kinda slowed down and sounded weird. It was the original though with 299k miles, so I just replaced it and haven't had a problem. If you have a real high compression motor and you currently have a Mitsuba starter, you may want to switch to a Nippondenso starter (both came on the 3g). The ND greater gear reduction if memory serves me right. I'll have to double check in my service manual though to make sure that's correct.

FoX
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Well i have a 9.3:1 compression. I think it is related to the bad ground i started having. I have my battery in the trunk so i guess i will try grounding to the rear strut tower like i have seen somewhere else on this message board.

You know on a unrelated topic, I have been on this message board for better then a year and i am still considered a newbie... strange..

sporkHSP
08-05-2004, 11:13 PM
you dont post enough, ive been here for less than a year, but i was already an LX user before i donated to the foundation... now im set for life :cool:

86LXItooFAST4me
08-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Well i have a 9.3:1 compression. I think it is related to the bad ground i started having. I have my battery in the trunk so i guess i will try grounding to the rear strut tower like i have seen somewhere else on this message board.

You know on a unrelated topic, I have been on this message board for better then a year and i am still considered a newbie... strange..

what gauge wire are you running on the battery posts?

FoX
08-06-2004, 11:49 AM
4 guage wire is what i am using, but i bought one of those grounding point things meant for amps and want not, and i believe it isn't enough. its a really small bolt.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
yeah, if i was you i would be running 2 gauge because the battery has to carry that current so far and also turn the high compretion engine. also look into that ND starter like jared said