PDA

View Full Version : battery dies every 1-2 weeks. electric gremlin?

Cat3
08-03-2004, 02:13 AM
I've got an '89 DX that's having trouble holding a charge.

About a month ago, I was driving home at night and for the last 20 or so miles of the drive, I noticed my gauge lights seemed dimmer than usual. The last 5 of those miles, they got MUCH dimmer, to almost not visible. The car died just as I was pulling into my parking space. Lucky timing.
I had been having trouble earlier that day getting the car to start. When I'd turn the key nothing would happen. Not even the starter click. The lights and everything worked... but nothing mechanical.

I had an alarm system that would do that when activated, though I never used it. Basically just a kill switch. So, thinking the alarm system might be responsible, and since I never used it anyway, I removed it. (I removed the alarm the day after it died.) I also visually inspected all of the fuses, and switched out a handful of the ones under the dash.

I had the battery charged at Advance Auto.

So I put the battery back in, and started driving it again. It seemed to be fixed. Then about a week later, the battery started dying on me. Everytime I'd apply the brakes the radio would turn off until I let off the pedal.
This time while my battery was being charged at AA again, I installed new battery terminals, and spark plugs. (I needed to change the plugs anyway, and figured "I've got an hour to kill")

So again, I put the battery back in, and started driving it. Then about two weeks later (yesterday), again with the battery dying.
Apparently the new terminals, which grip the posts a lot tighter than the old ones did, helped hold off the battery drain a little longer.

So I've had my battery charged again, but haven't installed it yet.
I don't think alternators will slowly go out. I'm pretty sure they either work or they don't... which makes me think it's not that. The belts are nice and tight, and both are pretty new. The battery tests "good" on the machines at the parts houses... the water level is good, and the posts are sparkling clean.

I borrowed a multi tester from my dad, but I'm not sure how to use it. I need to see if I can find a "how-to" for using one of those. My dad's not even sure where he got it, let alone how to use it.

I'm pretty sure that's the tool i'll need to use to root out this gremlin in my electrical system.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience with similar problems?
I'm willing to dig through this car's wiring... but I'm not happy about it. My bank account says that taking it to a mechanic is out of the question.

If any more info is needed to better understand this problem, just let me know what you need, and I'll do my best to answer.

SteveDX89
08-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Take the alternator out and have it tested. If it's not putting out enough voltage, it might not be re-charging the battery.

shepherd79
08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Alternator is your problem my friend. it not your battery.

Cat3
08-03-2004, 03:31 AM
I'll give it a shot. I was crossing my fingers that it wasn't the alternator, because they're such a PITA to get out.

Thanks for the fast replies