PDA

View Full Version : VAcuum lines 2 and 25

sporkHSP
08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
ok, i see that they connect to the distributor, but does the part need to be bolted to the distributor??? the bracket looks broken, and i dont know how long it has been that way or if we just broke it... do i need a new one or can the car run like this...
the distributor is bolted down, but the part that the vacuum lines connect to is broken, thanks guys

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-04-2004, 02:16 PM
That part is the vacuum advance diaphragms. It must be connected to the distributor. If it is damaged, you will have incorrect timing throughout the RPM range resulting in a poorly performing engine. The engine will run, but not well. The advance unit can be replaced. Make sure the replacement unit is exactly like the one you have because there were two different types available for the 3G.

TheMagi
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
ok, i see that they connect to the distributor, but does the part need to be bolted to the distributor??? the bracket looks broken, and i dont know how long it has been that way or if we just broke it... do i need a new one or can the car run like this...
the distributor is bolted down, but the part that the vacuum lines connect to is broken, thanks guys

The diaphram (sp?) has a lever that clips to the race inside the distributor, it does need to be screwed down to work properly.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
The diaphram (sp?) has a lever that clips to the race inside the distributor, it does need to be screwed down to work properly.

The problem with it not being firmly attached to the distributor, is that it may not provide enough travel to the plate inside the distributor or the diaphragm may move around and pull on the plate at the wrong time(like when the diaphragm assembly shifts forward for some reason). If the part is broken, it may not work at all. Since its plastic and the rest of the distributor where it mounts is metal, I suspect that sporkHSP cracked or broke some of the plastic off. So you are right, it may still function, but there is no guarantee that it will provide the correct amount of advance/retardation of ignition timing at the correct moment. Just my $.02. :dunno: