PDA

View Full Version : Project "Dash Redo"

HondaBoy
08-05-2004, 01:01 PM
ok, i decided that today i would get to doing the dash. i've done the rest of the interior except maybe the carpet to match everything else. you can see the old interior pix on my cardomain pages. i'll probley replace the old pix with new ones with my near finished interior. hope i remember where each screw goes. the plugs are pretty easy because there are no plugs that are exactly the same, not that i could find. anyway. this humidity is a bitch! i thought i was totally screwed when the vinal dye didnt dry right away. but now its more or less there. i've got some pix and i'll post em when i'm all done. so, no more ugly brown dash!

AccordAddict
08-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Sweet! i want to redo my carpet and get new seats (Front and Back). I dunno how to redo carpet, do you have to remove everything outta the car? or can you pay someone to do it somehwere??? i really need new carpet.

HondaBoy
08-05-2004, 06:27 PM
well, for the carpet, you need to take the seats out and the plastic trim at the bottom of the door jambs. its fairly easy, theres not too much more to it than that. i'm either going to order new carpet or get some marine carpet from HomeDepot. it'll be black to match the bottom stuff on the interior. also to hide dirt that lighter colors show. not that i wont keep it clean. anyway, i finally finished putting everything back. it was more of a bitch putting the little stuff back that it was taking everything out. maybe its because i'm tired, i dunno. all i know is that my interior doesnt have funky brown anymore. i still need to do a few more things to get it all matched up. the part where the gauges are, some other little pieces, touch up some stuff and i'll be done with that. while i was at it, i put my radar detector's wire up through the dash and it comes out the top vent on the dash by the windshield. i found out that touching up the plastic parts with the krylon fusion i used is really easy to blend it together. cant tell where it was scratched and where i touched up. i used a Q tip to apply the touch ups. it would have been easier with someone else to help me, but i'm sure i would have been getting pissed at them or something. i dunno. well, tomorrow when i have more time i'll post the pix up with everything else finished.

HondaBoy
08-06-2004, 07:19 PM
here's the pix. just some quick ones i had taken.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_287_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_288_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_290_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_291_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_292_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_293_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_294_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_296_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_297_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_298_full.jpg

johndej
08-06-2004, 07:52 PM
not bad, i like red on black or black on red, whichever you like to call it.

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Ricer!!!

AccordAddict
08-06-2004, 08:08 PM
hey that looks good man! i wanted to do the same thing but i thought it would be too much work to take the whole dash off. now just get some black or red carpet :D

AccordAddict
08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
have you been to the track yet? I have automatic also, what do you run with the auto?

HondaBoy
08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
havent been to the track yet. last week was the drag races in the valley. they were at edinburg international raceway. both the people i was going to go with kinda flaked. but i did go to a car show down close to there. my friend took 1st place in compact with his 5 door SVT focus. anyway, i know my best time 0-60 was 9.3 seconds. my friend timed me. i wonder if it would be any better without that heavy dash? rice? i dont think so. least its done right instead of the way most people have done theirs i've seen here where i live. i'll go with the black carpet. red would look outta place because everything else on the bottom is black. dont konw what i'll do about the floor mats. i'll figure something out i know. anyway, there's should be more pix comming of my ferrari inspired interior.

HondaBoy
08-10-2004, 10:27 PM
well, i've been getting a lot of good comments on my interior now. before with the dash stock brown, with the door panels, seats and plastic panels redone, i guess it wasnt as noticeable that the interior was getting done. with the dash all nice, guess it all stands out. now i can do some little stuff to finish it up. dont know now, maybe i'll get a header and new exhaust. needs a paint job, bit of body work. i'd like to fix the A/C because Texas is hot as hell! dont know about rims, i already started to look for some at my friends shop. looked on the bullitin board where other people list their stuff. didnt find anything good though. i'll probley be taking new interior pix and i'll post em up. i was hopeing to do that tomorrow sometime if i get a free moment.

AccordArizona89
08-13-2004, 07:27 AM
with all those cans of paint you bought u couldagotten vinyl or even tweed...

HostileJava
08-13-2004, 07:41 AM
It looks good, but is it me or does everything not seem the same shade of red?

86LXItooFAST4me
08-13-2004, 08:54 AM
:rice:

HostileJava
08-13-2004, 09:38 AM
:rice:

You always have such great contributions. Hey your mom likes rice :ugh:

JK JK :)

SteveDX89
08-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Yuck. Don't like it at all.

Forgar_88
08-13-2004, 03:10 PM
I was almost ready to say Rice!, but then i got to thinkin, "hmm, not bad! Red on black is pretty good lookin as long as you dont get carried away with it" Nice job man, better than mine!

86LXItooFAST4me
08-14-2004, 10:04 AM
You always have such great contributions. Hey your mom likes rice :ugh:

JK JK :)

im just telling it like it is man :D

88Accord-DX
08-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Lots of trouble to have different color dash there. Going to clear coat it?

HondaBoy
08-14-2004, 12:56 PM
the dash is the same color as the vinal on the doors. its the lighting that makes it looks different. i think it was the florescent light that was over the dash, it didnt shine onto the door panels. i thought about clear coating it, but other things i've done with vinal color it doesnt turn out good with clear on it. the red seems to be keeping the interior a bit cooler than the dark brown did. so thats good. as for rice, before i'd started working on it i had planned to have a red and white interior color combo. good thing i didnt go with that.

therock
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
nice job

Robs89LXi
08-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Is it actually red, or more orange? Maybe it's just the lighting. You're not thinking of becoming the spokesman for Whataburger, are you? JK.
The Whataccord project begins :)!
Sorry, this is making me hungry. I'm gonna go get something to eat now.

hondaaccord_86
08-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Sweet job. Looks good. I remember when I re-did my dash... hard work = looks good... :rockon:
This is an old pic of mine:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/251f030f/bc/7d7f/__sr_/215b.jpg?phyIqIBBprT7cGX0

cdscowboy
08-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Did you use Krylon Fusion for the dash? Keep us updated on whether or not it becomes sticky down the road, like mine has. :(

HondaBoy
08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
nah, i already had bad experiences with Krylon Fusion on vinal. the can clearly says it can be used on vinal, but it just doesnt dry or something. stays gooey. i used Duplicolor Vinal/Fabric dye on the tip vinal of the dash. i used black krylon fusion on the bottom hard plastic, i first sanded the plastic and cleaned it well with rubbing alcohol. it doesnt seem to chip off if you first sand with 700 grit or finer, thats so it doesnt leave lines and stuff. i like it because if anything does happen, touch ups are nothing to match. it seems to blend without having to do anything else but apply paint. i use a Q tip to apply touch up paint if it needs some, thats with the krylon fusion. oh, and the vinal paint i used isnt sticky at all, feels like vinal.

88accordalltheway
08-20-2004, 12:50 PM
hey man, i think you did a really really good job, im in the same situation as you, only a couple of steps behind you. How long did it take you tog et the dash off? Im about 3/4 of the way done with my door panels. Im not going multi color like you though, im going all black so no one will give me shit about being a ricer. I see that you didnt do the part on your door panels that are velvet or whatever, im in a perdicament, i dont know what to do for that part. i plan on getting new carpet as well. But the thing that bugs me the most is the ugly seats, the just look sooo faded and yucky. How much you thin home depot or lows would hearge for the amount of carpet we would need? Dont you have to pay by sq ft?

maxoutracer
08-20-2004, 01:52 PM
rice alert! 5hp gain!

cdscowboy
08-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Post whore alert! STFU maxout! :P You're just....umm....jealous. And we like changing things...deal with it.

88Accord-DX
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Post whore alert! STFU maxout! :P You're just....umm....jealous. And we like changing things...deal with it.
Do I feel a little late night aggresion? :rofl:

hondamanlxi
08-22-2004, 05:30 PM
well to add to my list of mods is a set of red racing seats i picked up used for 250. I guess i will begin the brown/maroon to black/red interior conversion too!

im thinking about doing ALL the vinyl black and the headliner/doors in red vinyl.... any opinions? IM me plz

HondaBoy
08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
dash took around 30 minutes to take out. that's disconnecting wires and about 7 bolts. dont know why y'all think i would get called rice. i gotta say all the muscle car guys down town loved it and said that i was going in the right direction. and believe me they will give you some hell about driving a honda. they also liked my dual exhaust. pure jelousey! :rofl:

hondaaccord_86
08-26-2004, 12:14 PM
for your eyes only... (again) just in case any one wanted to see

NXRacer
08-26-2004, 12:24 PM
that looks like pearldrops old interior minus the wood steeringwheel.

I dont think its necessarily rice to paint your interior esp when it used to be that nasty shit brown color. In hondaboy's case, i probably would have picked a color that wasnt so bright, but whatever floats your boat.

HondaBoy
08-27-2004, 10:27 AM
i was going to do the top black, but the red is a lot cooler in the summer as the top. its cooler than it was with the brown. it still does get hot but not as bad anymore. i need window tint, i'm quite sure that will help with it getting hot in the sun. i may get the seats recovered. not sure whether to get it in vinal or fabric like it has. i was going to get some foam added to the back and front seats for extra side bolstering or whatever so they will match. i dont think this will happen too soo because it'll take some money to get it done and time which i dont have right now.