PDA

View Full Version : questions in removing flywheel

racerx
08-05-2004, 02:51 PM
In the manual I have, it says to use a "ring gear holder" which will hold the flywheel in place while the clutch and all other bolts are removed.
Sounds like a good idea, right?

Well none of the stores here carry it, much less have heard of it. Not sears, autozone, checker, napa, autozone...

So, what would be a good thing to use? The bolts on the flywheel are torqued to 74 ft-lbs, just to let you know what kind of pressure is required to remove them.

thanks in advance

BlueBead
08-05-2004, 03:02 PM
When I did my timing belt as part of doing the headgasket, The manual said to insert a long screwdriver thru the timing hole to hold the ring gears in place while loosening the crankshaft nut. That sucker was supposed to be ~80 ftlbs, so maybe that'll work for you.
The manual says to get someone to hold the screwdriver into the gears while you torque on the nut, and I found it was the easiest way to get the damned crankbolt loose.
Good luck man.

racerx
08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
thanks for the advice. that just might work.

i took the bolts off of the other motor (which had an auto) with an impact wrench, and that worked great.

SteveDX89
08-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Use an impact wrench if you can. The ring gear holder can be found at Honda. They probably call it something different at auto parts stores.

racerx
08-06-2004, 04:07 PM
i used the impact wrench to get it off, and that worked great!

then my dad and i used the screwdriver method and that worked fine too. no problems at all.

thegreatdane
08-07-2004, 02:44 AM
A big flathead screw driver will often also do the trick if you need to remove the crank pulley.