PDA

View Full Version : Are there any transmissions that bolt directly to the A20A?

deevergote
08-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Other than the A20A transmission, obviously...

My tranny is pretty beat, and I'm wondering if there are any others that might be able to take it's place. Something that has a quality aftermarket LSD available would be great!

I'm looking to go turbo, so even a tranny with long gears would be good. Probably better, in fact.

Elijah
08-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Well I was trying to figure this out aswell.I have look at a few and still no luck.The best bet so far is the prelude tranny.

deevergote
08-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Does the Prelude tranny fit with no modification?

AccordAddict
08-05-2004, 09:45 PM
yeah im thinking of swapping my auto to a prelude tranny also. what else do you need for a 5speed swap? ECU, And what else?

deevergote
08-05-2004, 09:56 PM
ECU, the proper pedals, shift linkage, shifter (obviously)... I believe that's it. I've never done it, so I'm not positive.

AccordAddict
08-05-2004, 10:01 PM
whats a shift linkage???

2ndgenludedude1986
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
the tranny form the followoing motors will fit on teh a20.

ET2
ET
A18
A20 a3, a1 , a2, a4....

any lude tranny will bolt . not sure about the ES motors, but i kno that the motors listed above will work. when my a20 goes in my DX lude, my ET2 tranny is oging on. and plus the lude trannies have sportier gears to them

2ndgenludedude1986
08-05-2004, 10:48 PM
and as far as swapign form auto to manual, you need the
ecu
tranny (of course)
pedel assembly
manual flywheel
clutch cable
shiftlinkage
shifter
console

thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

deevergote
08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
The shift linkage is the set of cables running from the shifter. I have a spare set from a 94 prelude in my basement :D (not that that matters any...)

deevergote
08-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Ok, I've been thinking of perhaps making my car RWD... I heard that someone has semi-succesfully put an F20C tranny onto their A20A. I hear that the engine would have to be turned sideways for this to work...

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on making a 3G RWD?

sporkHSP
08-22-2004, 10:37 PM
yeah, good lick with that rwd project... unless you got real cash to play with that probably wont happen very soon.
and the How-tos on the auto to manual swap help alot on what you need, and if you dont know what shift linkage is, maybe you should not try this one? but thats just my opinion.
oh yeah searches have alot of info to... thats how i did mine, i only asked questions that came up after searching the whole site.

MarioBurke
08-22-2004, 10:49 PM
what are the ET motors?

nismoracer99
08-23-2004, 01:39 AM
would the dual carb. 1.8 litre prelude tranny fit onto an A20 ??

sporkHSP
08-23-2004, 05:30 AM
you mean the a18...? (see above)

deevergote
08-23-2004, 08:08 AM
yeah, good lick with that rwd project... unless you got real cash to play with that probably wont happen very soon.
and the How-tos on the auto to manual swap help alot on what you need, and if you dont know what shift linkage is, maybe you should not try this one? but thats just my opinion.
oh yeah searches have alot of info to... thats how i did mine, i only asked questions that came up after searching the whole site.

Wow, one of the 2Geez gods has come down to put me in my place!

Believe it or not (if you actually read the thread thoroughly) I DO know what a shift linkage is. I'm not the one who asked. My questions regarding the RWD project were more for how the engine would be placed (turning it sideways seems to be necessary). The auto to manual swap how-tos are worthless in that situation... My car is already 5 speed. They really have nothing to do with it.

As for the overall intent of this thread (which I also created), I'm curious about what transmissions bolt up. I HAVE searched the site, and all I can find about B series transmissions is that they bolt up to the swapped B engines. I want to know if a B series transmission would work on the A20A (a quality LSD doesn't seem to be an option for the A series, but it is for the B).

RWD (or possibly AWD) is a long-term project, and yes, it will wait till I have money. My 3G is a project car, after all, so I have the ability to put it down for a while. Hell, I've had it for a month and a half and haven't driven it (except 1000 miles from Florida)

For ruture reference, if you want to "help" someone, telling them to search or read the stickies really doesn't do the job. You can really show off how much you know by saying "search!"

deevergote
08-23-2004, 08:09 AM
And yes, I believe the A18 transmission would bolt up properly to the A20. They share the same block.

sporkHSP
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
ummm Deevergote? those were two comments to two different people, the first to you, and the second to AccordAddict who tends to post very noob questions all over the place. so take a deep breath and ask yourself if the comment applies to you before ranting about it, if i talk about tranny swaps and someone not knowing about what shift linkage is and you arent the one who brought up this information, maybe, just maybe im not talking to you! oh yeah, and unless someone swapped the engine in your hatch, the 86 LXi isnt an a20a(3), its a BT engine, which coincidently is the same engine as the 86 Prelude Si. and im not a 2geez god, im a 3geez god.

yes, a18 trannies fit, but youll have to check on the flywheel and clutch, you might need to swap those with prelude ones too, but im not sure since i havent as of yet began my research of them. but i plan on hunting down the prelude tranny/parts to put in my own project 86 LXi hatch.
prelude tranny+lightweight flywheel+heavy duty clutch+shortshifter= next summer for my hatch

and im playin about the 3geez god thing.

MarioBurke
08-23-2004, 11:04 PM
the a18 trannies fit, but to use your stock flywheel and clutch you have to grind out some corners into the housing to make it fit. otherwise just use the prelude flywheel and clutch, which stock weight is a bit lighter than the accords. If you want a direct bolt up and use stock flywheel and clutch. the 87 SI prelude uses an a20 2.0 liter engine and will bolt on. also has a sportier gear ratio. if i had the extra money i would buy an SI tranny and throw it on before i put the motor back in.

deevergote
08-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Whoops... Typo! :D

Ok, I see what you mean. I kinda brought this thread back from the dead, and I had forgotten that he even mentioned doing a swap himself... just that he didn't know what a shift linkage is. Sorry for the rant. I get flamed so often by people who just don't know what I'm talking about (when I really DO ask a legitimate question!) that I sometimes overreact.

Now, since I bought my car, I've been told it was an A20A engine. I wondered about the BT stamp, but someone just told me that the carbed block was called that, and I must have just gotten a block designed for a carbed engine... Dumb me for not checking more thoroughly into that! Would the A20A bolt into an 86? I plan on having Sean work an A20A for me in the near future, but that could pose a problem if there are significant differences! Maybe I'll ask him if he could do his thang on a BT...

Same question applies though... I'll tweak it a bit. Are there any NEWER B series trannies (B16 perhaps?) that would work on either the A20A or the BT? My reason for this is that I would like to get LSD, and OPM really doesn't interest me. I'd like to be able to get Quaife or something.

sporkHSP
08-24-2004, 11:22 AM
no problem, i ranted the same way when i got flamed for legitimate questions as a newbie, the EFI 86s were BT and the carbed ones were BS engines. the a20s will bolt right in without a problem, but i dont believe any newer bseries trannies will bolt to our block, i know it sucks, i would have one too. its not an option for an LSD, but you can always rebuild with integra internals...

deevergote
08-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Damn... Ah well. Maybe the OPM LSD will be worth a shot. It seems like a slightly better version of the Phantom Grip, but I guess it's better than nothing! I hope to eventually get 300hp to the wheels, and I'd like it to be to BOTH wheels!

I know a fair amount about 4th gen Accords, but it's amazing how many differences there are between the 3rd and 4th generations! I truly DO feel like a noobie all over again (and not just my title on the board here!)

Regardless, the longer gears on the stock tranny will probably do well with turbo, so I guess I'm better off with that. Now, my tranny kinda sucks. The guy I bought it from said it's just the way a cable tranny feels... Kind of rough and not so easy to shift quickly. Again, I took his word for it, but now I'm doubting. I've never driven any other manual transmission than my 92 Accord (with the F22 tranny and the H22 tranny, but they feel identical in shifting.) Since the subject is transmissions, I might as well ask! Should I have a nice smooth shift, or is the shifting in the 3geez pretty stiff?

smufguy
08-24-2004, 04:12 PM
yeah im thinking of swapping my auto to a prelude tranny also. what else do you need for a 5speed swap? ECU, And what else?

u dont need a different ECU for a 5-speed swap. Ur 5spd is not computer control my man. So get outta that histeria. :)

carotman
08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
BTW, do some research a bit on 3geez. There was a thread about installing a 86-89 INTEGRA transmission on our Accords. This is the closest ratio tranny you can get.

I would bring you the link myself but I'm in a rush and don't have time to search. It roughly involves putting the Integra internals in your current transmission.

deevergote
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I've heard about doing that. I think I may have read the thread you mentioned, carotman. I'm mainly interested in getting a transmission that can accept a quality aftermarket LSD. I can't find anything for that model Integra, so that doesn't help much... though it DOES give an option. Thanks!

skull1441
08-25-2004, 09:22 PM
my tranny is a little stiff when shifting also ... i think they all like that

PortugalFocus
08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Other than the A20A transmission, obviously...

My tranny is pretty beat, and I'm wondering if there are any others that might be able to take it's place. Something that has a quality aftermarket LSD available would be great!

I'm looking to go turbo, so even a tranny with long gears would be good. Probably better, in fact.

Just a rule of thumb.....

All A-series trannies mount up to all A-series Blocks, B-series is the same, so is C-series, and D-series, F-series is not true (ie. F22 and F20C) Im not sure about the H-series though....... that's the knowledge I have.

If anyone knows more about this subject please add to it.

deevergote
08-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Very true... That I pretty much know...

Of course, All F series transmissions (aside from the F20C) will bolt up properly to Any other F series block. My reason for posting this thread is that all H series transmissions will bolt up to all F series blocks and vice versa (F20C of course excluded). Seeing as the F and the H are interchangable, I was hoping perhaps the A and B engines might be similar as well. Even the A and D series would be good!

sporkHSP
08-26-2004, 09:50 PM
you could push 300hp with the stock tranny, but i hear they are pretty fragile in that range... you may want to consider at least upgrading internals too.

Robs89LXi
08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
you could push 300hp with the stock tranny, but i hear they are pretty fragile in that range... you may want to consider at least upgrading internals too.

And how would you do that? I've asked this question before, but got no answer, except the same ol' Integra hybrid suggestion. That will only change the ratios to make it shift quicker, but will not make it any stronger. Plus, for a boosted engine, that would be a step backwards as I should be reaching shift points even earlier, so a longer ratio would be better. Back to the original question though, is there a way to beef up (= make stronger) our transmissions?

smufguy
08-27-2004, 05:13 AM

jhonny runs a 450whp+ motor and its the stock tranny. Never broken it and nothing broke. So i dont know what ur talking about :)

deevergote
08-27-2004, 07:25 AM
You can have the gears hardened, I know that. I don't know anyone who has done it, so I don't know anyplace offhand. I know it has been done though. Reading the Readers' Rides section of Super Street has finally proven useful! :lol:

smufguy
08-27-2004, 07:45 AM
You can have the gears hardened, I know that. I don't know anyone who has done it, so I don't know anyplace offhand. I know it has been done though. Reading the Readers' Rides section of Super Street has finally proven useful! :lol:

if you noticed a lot of Nissan guys do that. I tell you from experience, some of their trannies are the worst ever. They get chewed up like shit, and its under normal driving too. Weird shit man.

deevergote
08-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Going into the LSD thing again... The Phantom Grip pushes the spider gears apart, right? I've read something about welding the gears to get that effect permanently...

smufguy
08-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Going into the LSD thing again... The Phantom Grip pushes the spider gears apart, right? I've read something about welding the gears to get that effect permanently...

not a good idea, talk to OPM motorsports to get urself a clutch-type LSD.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I figured... That idea always comes up when the Phantom Grip is mentioned on just about any forum. I don't know anyone who has done it though.

I'm not too sure I like OPM. Their unit seems like a slightly different Phantom Grip... It has the two plates, with the addition of a gear or two. It doesn't seem like a great unit for the money. I read around on here, and I've only seen one person with a definite opinion of it... A good one, but I believe they were race-only cars. I want my car to be as much of a daily driver as my 92! I know everything that I'm doing to it will sacrifice some reliability, but I want to retain as much reliability as I possibly can!

A20A1
08-28-2004, 01:00 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5756

Pics are gone... maybe there is one in the how-to or FAQ section???

2dsei
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
the reason the 3gen shifts harder is that it is not a hydrolic cluck it is manuall or cable with make it stiffer then th hydrolic like f22 or h22 trannys

Ichiban
06-27-2005, 09:33 AM
uhh...

i just ran down to my local junkyard and requested an efi 2 litre engine out of an 87 or 88 accord. what i got for 450 canadian has a black cast aluminum valve cover, mpi, the entire wiring harness and ecu, and has BT-1 stamped into the flat spot on the block. i had planned on using a transmission from the twin carbed a18 engine i had scrapped in favor of fuel injection, and dumping the whole kit and caboodle into my almost resto'd 82 accord. is this engine tranny combo gonna work? (the A18 and tranny are still bolted together out in the shop and the BT-1 is at the wreckers awaiting payments) i know the prelude tranny will work with my stock cv axles and am pretty sure the two engines have similar if not the same blocks. however, i really expected the BT-1 engine to say something more like "A20A3" on it being fi and all, whats going on here? can anyone share info on what im dealing with in terms of engines, trannys, interchangability and stuff like that? some compression, gearing and hp figures would be nice to know as well, as well as some cam/timing/performance stuff eventually.

MarioBurke
06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
isnt the BT-1 just the FI block for an 86 accord. or atleast the ones that i have seen are. should be no difference

deevergote
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
isnt the BT-1 just the FI block for an 86 accord. or atleast the ones that i have seen are. should be no difference

Yeah, the BT is the block for the 86... not sure if it's all of them, or just the FI ones. I have an 86 LXi, and it's a BT block. I believe the A20A3 was the engine for the 88-89 FI Accords. Also, I'm pretty sure that any Accord transmission, be it the 1.8L or 2.0L should bolt up to any Accord block of the same generation without a problem.

I REALLY wanted to put a boosted A20A into a 2G Accord hatch. I think I've pretty much given up on the A20A idea for now though... I'm sticking to my F and H series!

sofaking_bob
08-27-2005, 05:18 PM
this whole bt thing has gotten my by surprise... so a lude tranny from the same model era as our little 3g's should bolt the hell right on?? correct?? didn't even really think of the sporty factor of it... off to ebay!

MarioBurke
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
no the smaller prelude requires changing the smaller clutch and flywheel. you have to make sure it is atleast the 2.0L prelude. like the SI

sofaking_bob
08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
no the smaller prelude requires changing the smaller clutch and flywheel. you have to make sure it is atleast the 2.0L prelude. like the SI

right right... and when you say changing the smaller clutch and flywheel i'm assuming that you mean to one more accord sized and shaped right? this could be challenging.. anyone know where i can find a fi 5-speed for a hatch???

PhydeauX
08-28-2005, 06:08 PM
No, you need the smaller 1.8l clutch and flywheel if you use the 1.8l tranny. You also need to do something about the axles since they have smaller splines as well. That is of course only if you use a tranny from a prelude with an ET (dual carb) engine. If you use one from one with a 2.0 BT motor (Si) then it just swaps right in with the accord parts.

The clutchs and flywheels in both the dx/lx and lx-i accord are the same. You don't need to worry about finding one from an lx-i.

andy

kilgorq
08-29-2005, 04:11 AM
uhh...

--- some compression, gearing and hp figures would be nice to know as well, as well as some cam/timing/performance stuff eventually.

Here is a Honda BHP,Aspiration, and Application List

Honda Engine Specs (http://www.qtronics.net/HondaEngineSpecs.htm)

sofaking_bob
08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
If you use one from one with a 2.0 BT motor (Si) then it just swaps right in with the accord parts.

i searched it on ebay found one... said it came off of a b20... you're sure that bolts on with no mods??? not that i'm saying that you don't know what you're talking about... i'm just in need of a tranny and that one is like 300 bucks... wanna make sure, ya dig?

PhydeauX
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
A tranny from a b20 wont work, it must come from an A series motor or one of its earlier cousins (BS/BT/etc).

You can pick from:

BS 1986 Accord DX/LX
BT 1986 Accord LXi/Prelude Si
ET2 1985-6 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
A18A1 1987 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
A20A1 1987-9 Accord DX/LX
A20A3 1987-9 Accord LXi/1987 Prelude Si

[for the sake of being complete these trannies will also fit though I can't see why you'd want to use any of them]
ES1 1983-4 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
ES2 1984-5 Accord DX/LX (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
ES3 1985 Accord SEi

andy

Shawn Silva
01-21-2019, 05:28 PM
86 Accord lxi hatch with jmba7 badge here, so do i have a bt engine same as 1986 prelude si?

fortekosakku
12-08-2022, 05:10 AM
All hub splines and tranny splines, and cv axle lengths are the same for every 3geez? accord, and prelude? I worry. I need to swap my transmission 5spd too and Id love to use a prelude 5spd but is that front end width the same? Cv axles from my accord going to fit or do I need axles for the prelude car and will those fit into my accord wheel hubs?

ShiRen
12-09-2022, 06:08 AM
Pretty sure it's the same, but I would worry about trying to find that trans instead because good luck with that
Verify the splines fit the diff and use the accord axles, the trans case is the same so it would fit the same otherwise

obd0driver
12-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure it's the same, but I would worry about trying to find that trans instead because good luck with that
Verify the splines fit the diff and use the accord axles, the trans case is the same so it would fit the same otherwiseYeah find one is hard there's a lude sitting in a yard near me but I've been hesitant to grab it as is no use to me after A to B plate but I figured somebody might want it I just don't want to sit on it forever. And you're correct the Prelude axles and spines are the same as the Accord it is a direct Plug and Play bolt in matter of fact you could still use your Accord axles in the Prelude transmission or vice versa. I've also found out which isn't new that B series axles will fit the 88 and 89 Accord hubs same with those that B series swap they're running one Accord and one B series axle whether it's an Integra or CRV.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk