PDA

View Full Version : Good/Bad/Ugly...TrannySwapUpdate

sporkHSP
08-05-2004, 11:27 PM
the good... the car runs, everything is together and after some tense moments and trial and error wirings, the car started and ran.
I drove it (the first time ever really driving stick) and didnt kill it until like my third time around the block when i was making a right turn up a hill from a stop with no powersteering(read on), i would have done better but im trying to baby the clutch since it cost more than the tranny did.

the bad... the clutch has to be on the floor to shift and the idle is at 2000rpms

now here is the fun part...
THE UGLY
power steering isnt working (i think i need more fluid and maybe a new hose); there is a coolant leak, but i know where that is coming from; and there is tons of rattling under the hood when the car is moving. i think the rattling is from one of the loose brackets under the hood, but its still bothersome.

so now, i need new balljoints, new p/s lines, and axle boot rings

...this day has been was too bittersweet for my liking

SteveDX89
08-06-2004, 02:13 AM
You don't have to baby the clutch too much. They'll stand up to a little abuse. How do you like driving 5 speed?

Vinny
08-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Sounds like you have a few problems that shouldnt be too hard to fix
Check the cable tension on the tranny. Sounds like you may be out of adjustment there
May be low on fuid on the PS if you took the Speed Sensor lines off.
Coolant leaks..........You'll almost always get them when you pull a tranny. I did on both accords. The way the engine sags on the ass end just causes the old rubber lines of the hard coolant line to leak
Rattles. Check the dogbone mount and the lower tranny mount make sure they are torqued down

HostileJava
08-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Get those balljoints replaced right away. At least your car is up and running, I still am waiting for a new tranny after what happened with the last one. I only got to drive the car about 1.5 miles with the 5speed in it so far. And it's been in there for about 2 weeks now.

keruhas184
08-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah man, you're going to like driving manual. You just have to practice a bit. I was teaching my (female) cousin driving stick for the first time yesterday. And I have to say - holy shit! I never knew my car could jerk like that. But she got it down after a bit of practice. Good luck on the car :)

sporkHSP
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
GODDAMN IT!!! now the tach isnt working... turned it on to check the idle (at 2000) turned the car off, adjusted the idle, turned it on and it just sat still. grrrrrrrrr where does the tach run to, i need to check those lines out.

i didnt know the speed sensor was lubed by power steering, if thats true than i know my fluid is low, that was dripping for quite a while... and the coolant leak is fixed.

but seriously, i need help on the tach please.

EDIT*** changed the turn signal fuse (those werent working either) and the tach, gas gauge, heat gauge, and clock work now too... put in PS fluid and that doesnt seem to be leaking anywere, and the coolant isnt leaking anymore but i need more coolant for sure.

Thanks for all of your help guys, ill get pics up soon and im sure ill have a few more questions before its all over. :rockon: