PDA

View Full Version : Replace Head Gasket

FoX
08-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Is it possible for one person to replace the head gasket on a 3G? Mine needs replacing but i have no one to help me. Next, think the head can be pulled without removing the intake manifold? I think it is but then i have never done it so i dont know what problems it would cause.

shepherd79
08-06-2004, 03:25 AM
if you are going to lift the head with intake and exhauset manifold atached you need a nother healp to clean the block and head from old gasket and put a new one in.
i would recomend doing that. you better off lift the hole head out of the engine bay, clan it up, clean the block up. make sure there is no oil on the block when you put your new gasket and put the head back on.

nswst8
08-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Working on cars.

The head gasket although is not that difficult should not be attempted without a good plan.

I've never had any mojor problems when doing head gaskets but you must be familar with it so that it goes back together correctly.

The first time I ever did a head gasket and I'm not a mechanic I numbered everything with masking tape as I pulled it apart.

Put bolts back into holes after you take brackets off this way you don't have a bucket/box full of bolts to try and remember where they go.
ie. if I remove the alternator I put the holding bolts back after the alt is removed now I don't have to remember where they go.
Hope this helps

AZmike
08-06-2004, 05:22 PM
I remove the exhuast manifold and pull the head and intake manifold off together. I'd rather spend a few minutes disconnecting wires, fuel lines, etc than trying the reach the nuts that hold the intake on. You'll have much better access to what you're working on with the head completely out of the way. You may be able to pull the head off yourself, but plan for someone else to help you lower it down so you can go slowly and make sure everything is aligned properly.

racerx
08-08-2004, 03:20 PM
if you take the head off with the intake manifold, then you can do it yourself.

i personally like to take both manifolds off first. I have a friend help me with the bolts on the intake manifold though. Good luck getting those out by yourself! Oi! You'll need a swivel socket to get them.